Thread: How to configure Raid on Time Capsule

How to configure Raid on Time Capsule

I need small details about Time Capsule. What I want to know is that apart from the great use of the system using Time Machine to backup all my Macs, I want to use Time Capsule as a hard drive to the office network for file sharing, it is fast and functional. The goal is to replace an HP ProLiant server that ultimately serves as a shared drive. The idea looks good here. Now here for safety, I would make a backup of the Time Capsule disk. For this I want to know that can connect a RAID to this which can create a copy of my data. If yes then how to do that, and if not then I will really switch to HP ProLiant.

Re: How to configure Raid on Time Capsule

Raid interfaces works mostly with two same type of storage drives. A raid with two plates, in which one is of SATA and the other on SATA controller / USB. This are connected to a system and it can also not function in some cause. This is because of the difference in transmission rates which can be too large. Other things matter is also the compatibility. For the Time Capsule you need to search a lot for Raid configuration. Hp ProLiant is a pre-configured ready to use server for such things, and there are major stuff that are supported which can be needed by you in future.

Have you heard that what you are saying is possible. This is because a new Time Capsule firmware is already released before for this work. This includes a small novelty Safeguard passed rather unnoticed. It allows you to archive the contents of your disk Time Capsule to an external disk drive. The entire operation after the firmware upgrade is relatively long, but offers the possibility to have a duplicate copy of your backups. I too do not prefer to have raid on Time Capsule, due to the durability. But on the same hand I also think that it is at least possible to create an automatic copy routine backup.

If you just want to copy the data from the Time Capsule to an external USB hard drive then you can just use any copier tool for the backup. For an automation job of the same you need to create some automated scripts for that. I am not enough familiar for the same on Apple platform but there are certain options. I had found some Apple systems which comes with inbuilt Raid support. There is one possibility. You can find a number of manufacturers who sells NAS with RAID configurations. So you can look for the most preferable NAS drive for your Time Capsule. This might would add some ore cost on your work.

There is one more easier solution for that. For this you do not need much modifications here. You just need to add a RAID box to the Time Capsule via USB. For this you need to have a NAS like drive that can be properly compatible with the Firewire ports. In that case there are certain possibilities to run Raid on the Time Capsule. But the one thing which matters here is the time of backup which can be longer. Sometime due to regular backup there are possibilities that that the usb drives can be corrupted. This is not a stable solution at all. For example a Raid 5 setup can choke up the entire bandwidth of Usb 2.0 connection. So there is same conclusion here. You need to look for a SATA/SATA support.

Stardom's Safe Capsule is one thing that you can try. It is designed to work in harmony with your Time Capsule. It usually connects to your system with USB. In this you can add upto 2T of storage solution and configure the same on Raid 1 which will provide redundancy and backup of your data. The Safe Capsule takes up to 2 TB of additional network storage, automatic data recovery is to help in case of failure of hard drives. Increasingly complain Time Capsule users that Apple's combined solution from wireless routers and backup hard drive for about 18 months breaks