Thread: Using USB flash memory card with ipad

Using USB flash memory card with ipad

Hi all - I have query concerning the use of USB flash memory cards and an iPad. I have seen a lot of videos online that demonstrate you can make use of a USB flash memory card to open and import images onto the iPad (without jailbreaking...). My doubt is, have any of folk been able to save files onto the USB flash memory card from the iPad? I am not worried about jailbreaking if that's what required to be done to do so.

Re: Using USB flash memory card with ipad

You just need to create a DCIM folder , and that you will create in the root of the usb drive , once you have done that copy your pictures/videos into that folder. This tricks the iPad into thinking it is connected to a camera.Also make a note of that a usb drive will not function if it consumes too much power from the iPad. This most likely isn't a issue for thumb drives, but other devices like a wd passport do not function .

Thank you. That was a great help indeed , your post was really of great help , but there are certain instances where your solution is not going to work. This was the easiest solution for importing images using flash thumb drive. Awesome work. You should have this resolution marked by the moderators. But the issue is it most likely won't assist anyone who wishes to view any file type but it is way better for pictures if you don't wish to connect to a machine or your camera. If you want pictures from someone now all you need is the connector and flash thumb drive.

Hey let me tell you something that the iPad does not include any USB port on the tablet itself, but there are few ways in which you can get your desired results , Apple does present iPad accessory with the name iPad Camera Connection Kit accessory (at added price, of course) which sort of like port converter that provides users a USB port, and SD card reader. The USB port that is there on iPad Camera Connection Kit can in fact work like a usual USB port, in addition to its usual function – to plug digital camera to iPad for image viewing.

I totally agree with what was being said in the above post that there are techniques and one which suited my device was to create a DCIM folder , although it was all done by a techie , but it really solved the issue .Making use of Apple's Camera Connection Kit it is likely to read general USB flash drives and hard disks. Jail-breaking is not necessary. The iPad can only interpret compatible image and movie files.

I will tell you a few instructions to let you about it :
    • You will need to Format your USB flash drive in FAT32 with the help of the Disk Utility, Partition, "MSDOS (FAT)".
    • You then can create a folder called "DCIM" in the root directory of the flash drive. Put your pictures and movies in that folder
    • When connected, the iPad is made to think that it's attached to a digital camera and can interpret picture and movie files in the "DCIM" folder. An app opens that allows you to copy images and movies on to your iPad.