Thread: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS not detecting

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS not detecting

Guys I am using my computer system for more than 5 years or so and recently I have upgraded the same to install more memory, more speed and many other things into my system. I have got a WD5000AAKS 500gb Caviar Blue in it which I have kept the same as it has got the desired space and don’t want to replace it since it will become very difficult to transfer the data to a new one. Also, I had found that the PSU in my CPu has become very old and so I even replaced it with a new one. But after getting that replaced I find that the drive was missing in the BIOS and when I start the Cpu there is no vibrating noise at all, as if there is nothing inside. Can anyone help me to know that what exactly has gone wrong and how should I correct it.

Re: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS not detecting

First of all since you are not able to get the hard disk, detected then the first thing that you will have to look for is that you should see to it that the connection of the hard disk in the cpu is absolutely perfect that is you must check that the chord of the hard disk is in right place and attached perfectly with no loose connection at all. So first open the cpu case and see to it that the connection is done properly and then try running the cpu again to see if you get the hard disk detected this time around. Since you had a working hard disk from the very beginning then I don’t think so that there could be any problem with it, the only concern could be of the connection.

What I think is that while changing the PSU or any other part of the computer system you might have got the hard drive damaged unknowingly which is why you are facing this problem of hard disk not getting recognized. What I would want to tell you that to test if the hard disk is absolutely proper condition you must remove the hard disk from your cpu unit and then check for the same by inserting the hard disk into some other cpu unit, over there if the hard disk runs completely then I think that there could be some problem in your cpu or if it doesn’t works then the problem could be of the hard disk.

Since you have changed the PSu unit of your cpu then the reason why your hard disk is not getting detecting might be due to the change in the power supply. The normal power supply that is necessary required for the hard disk to function properly might not getting supplied to it and that is the reason why I believe that the hard disk is not working at all and so it is not getting detected in the BIOS settings as well. So first if you have got the electrical knowledge of the current that is required to get the hard disk function properly then I think you must first test the same and then come to any sort of conclusion.

Since you have made allot of underlying hardware changes into your computer system then there are various things that you might have to get confirm starting from to check whether there are no shorts on any of the power supply rails. You might have to make use of a mulimeter to calculate the resistance between each power supply and ground. In addition to the +6V and +13V supply to the SATA power connector, the motherboard produces its own internal electrical supplies from several switch mode DC-DC converters, and one linear controller. Over here the first thing is the Vcore for the MCU and the other one is the -6V for the preamplifier and also there are either two or more Vio electrical supplies for the MCU, SDRAM, and serial flash. So if you have not got these thing perfect then I believe that there could be some supply problem.

I have searched for some kind of information about the change in the PSU and I have come to know that we are not being allowed to get the PSu change easily as it is unique for one system depending upon the hardware and the electrical power that the system actually wants. All these things are decided from the very beginning and any changes to it is certainly not accessible. If you really want to bring this kind of change in the system then what I believe is that you should contact the WD support service and ask then for the instructions and the necessary electricity that is required to get the hard ware parts running smoothly into the system.