Thread: System crashes by connecting My Passport Essential SE

System crashes by connecting My Passport Essential SE

My external hard drive plant for 2 days. Everything was nickel, before I turn it on yesterday, no problem, it's automatic execution and everything, everything is normal. Then the window asking me what I want to open as usual. So as usual I clicked on "open files". It opens and then image disappears 2 seconds and when I returned error message. And there ben forced to close, I click "do not send" then suddenly it closes the window and suddenly it does not then ctrl / alt / del to have the file manager to close and PC will not crash, it's just this window. I do not think this is a virus, I put the Avira Antivir and nothing has been reported. In addition the files are in first place in my computer so I'd have AC when it was reported the pc fans.

Re: System crashes by connecting My Passport Essential SE

When I have a problem like this with an external hard drive, memory stick or other external device I first uninstall it via device manager and after a restart the device is detected by the system. Before making the following attempts to access it in Safe Mode, it might work. If it's not going to uninstall the following manner: Right click the desktop, left click on Manage and then click Device Manager in the left column and finally right on the cross next to Universal Serial Bus Hub. There will be a list that includes the external hard drive. Disconnects the disk by looking at what happens in the list to find the one that disappears, then reconnected and when he reappeared right clicks on the line and click uninstall. After rebooting the PC's hard drive is detected. If it still does not install the software on HDTune. This enables you to test the health of your disk. If you find that the disk is healthy Explorer can be improved by opening each window into a different process from the explorer.

If you could not start the safe mode, well then listen branch your pc to another pc that contains another disk drive that contains Windows and start Windows after the other opens your hard drive goes in windows / repair and you will find a file named system then copy this file and paste it into windows/system32/config and replaces the existing file and voila your problem is set (but note it will reinstall most of the sound driver, graphics card).

If you go in the event viewer and ask for details of the crash, you will realize that two dll files are responsible in the crash: msutb.dll & ntdll.dll. If you compare these DLLs on your machine with another windows XP from the same family (but healthy), you will notice they are different. One solution is to replace the dll by them in good condition. (I have not seen any inconsistency even on different versions of XP). One problem is to replace the dll files that are running, not running as XP, it will then use the DOS (boot floppy or CD to install XP and then repair with command prompt) or even from another OS if you're lucky enough to have one on another drive.