Thread: Power Surge damaged external drive in my macbook pro

Power Surge damaged external drive in my macbook pro

Wonder if anyone can help?I am in a bit of doubt if anyone can assist on this I am having a Mac Pro at work and lately a power surge resulted one of my Western Digital drive to corrupt . It is at presently in the lab being repaired on but unnecessary to say that it was a bit of a dreadful and has driven the purchase of a G RAID pronto.Just thinking what might have caused the power surge? I am running a couple of Cinema HD monitors, one of those two uses a higher power adaptor than was supplied. However, could this be the impact of the power surge? Just keen to stop another drive being cleared out in the same way...

Re: Power Surge damaged external drive in my macbook pro

Only genuine solution is to place equipment on one or more UPS, on diverse outlets and circuits. A 1500VA for Mac and a few components. Trust me If I was in your place facing this issue , I would channelize and move files off WD MyBooks to SATA and PCIe controller. I was never been content with FW800 apart from for backups, for which I , you must always have a backup with you .

As your question was how did you make a decision it was a Power Surge that did this damage in your macbook , well to answer this

I do not wish to discourage the cautious use of surge protectors, but you have not given any proof that this corruption did not happen due to:
    • any type of software problems,
    • system crashes, or
    • "just because".

Do not be calm and unresponsiveness once you have your surge protection in place. "Any drive can stop working at any time." And it is not merely a Hardware failures and power surges that can damage your data.

Well I doubt that this can be a caused due to the failure of the power surge unless you have not set it properly, you have not mentioned any description regarding your residential area , it might be because of the voltage you have set in it , I had a Dell system , while I was in US we used to set it as a different voltage , reckon it was around 130 but when I came in India , the technician advised me to set it as per the Indian standards .