Thread: Temp sensor in imac is not external any more ?

Temp sensor in imac is not external any more ?

I am thinking of upgrading a my HD from the origianally built in 1TB Seagate ST31000528ASQ to the 2TB Western Digital hard drive . Actually the WD drive is not the issue The only issue is the temp sensor . My Problem is: the drive I purchased bought contains a 8 Pin Connector in place of 6 Pin Connector showed. On the WD explanations it states, that 6 of the Pins are used (eg opting to SATA1-compatibility, but not any for temp I know regarding the choice to shunt out the connector, so that the fan will only have 1000upm. But it should ±4000 , has anyone tried it , can anyone tell me about this pins and give me some hint on this .

Re: Temp sensor in imac is not external any more ?

I cannot give you the complete detail but , but I can comment that around the duration of the 2009 models, Apple switched from making use of a sensor that was essentially just sticked or taped onto the hard drive to one being put together into the hard drive. And while you could always decide not to plug this particular wire, it will cause your HDD fan to default into running at full speed at all the occasions.I have not gone through any other drives, apart from those sent to me by Apple , with those additional pins for the temp sensor, and a superficial look over the drive appears like there's a little additional PCB compared to other drives.

I can not give any assurance on it that it would work, but if you could obtain your hands on one of the old sensors from systems pre-2009, you could always make out if that would work as a replacement. I would at least comment it's at least worth a try, and you can possibly locate that cable on the websites such as ebay or somewhat like it . But if you practice any of the above mentioned things bear in mind that by doing this, you will be voiding any warranty you might still have on that imac. That implies if you break it, you are paying to get it fixed , and that will be too much expensive NOT be cheap. So you might want to rethink your conclusion and verdict not to take it to either an Apple Store or AASP in your locality .

And have you ever taken apart an iMac prior to this ? I will not say that it is difficult , but it does need a number of not so common tools to do it correctly, and there are some possible security hazards to be aware of, such as two exposed power supplies once you get the display off. And that glass on the face side is not tampered , so it will smash into very sharp mall pieces if you drop it. You will also require a T-10 Torx screwdriver to remove the display panel off. Ensure that it is magnetized, and even then the magnets that hold the glass panel on will have a habit of holding the screws and your screwdriver.

I purchased temp sensor that is a Optical Drive Temp Sensor, and it is going well .. Tape it to the HDD just to the top right of the sata plug on the rear end of the hard drive.. on the black aluminum; center of the drive.(as per the Seagate views , thats the optimal position for a temp sensor) How I reached this conclusion was, I at first took the optical drive thermal sensor from my optical drive and placed it on the HDD thinking this is surely going to work.. well the hard disk temp and fans work perfectly but the optical fans do not , then I contacted Apple and got my optical drive sensor replaced .