Thread: Suggestions for a worthy laptop

Suggestions for a worthy laptop

I am currently pursuing a course in animation, which includes graphic designing and visual effects. I need to practice as well as make animations and graphics almost on a daily basis. I was thinking to buy a laptop for this purpose but I have no clue as to what the configuration should be and I don’t even know about any laptops in the market. So I wanted some suggestions as to which laptop would suit me well, a laptop that basically offers a good configuration so that it does not hang while working on high end adobe softwares for animation.

Re: Suggestions for a worthy laptop

I guess the Lenovo-Ideapad Y510 775869Q will suit you better. It will cost you around 50 thousand rupees depending upon where you stay and where you place an order from. This laptop is composed of the well known Intel 1.83 GHz Core2 Duo Processor, with a RAM of two GB capacity which is ideal for graphics, you can even upgrade the RAM upto four GB along with a 250GB HDD. It is loaded with a DVD writer, a display of 15.4-inch with a resolution of 1280 x 800 dots per inch. It is incorporated with a video card of Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, with a sound card and an integrated modem, It has a Wi-fi system, in-built speakers and a touchpad mouse. It includes interfaces like the Express Card slot, S-Video port, it even provides four USB ports, a firewire port, with bluetooth system and six in one Digital Media Reader which will prove more helpful to you in your graphics work. It has an inbuilt camera and runs on Windows Vista.

I don’t know about graphics and animation but the Sony VGN-CR-343 laptop is an excellent option which will suit you. It has a processor of Intel Core 2 Duo 1.80 T5670, a RAM of one GB capacity, with a two hundred GB HDD, Clear Bright LCD of about 14.1 inch, an inbuilt camera, with a Blue tooth and other typical feature. I think this size is more than enough for your animation and graphics. But if you desire big screen in laptops then this is not the laptop you are looking for or else it has almost all the features to support your animation softwares.

For animation purposes I would recommend you to go for dual-core. Next is the RAM you should at least have minimum of one GB RAM and if you want to use Windows Vista as the operating system you would need a minimum of two GB RAM. A higher capacity RAM will ensure smooth functioning of your Adobe softwares. What is more important for you is the graphics card because if in case you are using Adobe Photoshop and in that if you wish to use the 3D option then you will require a graphics card or the option will be disabled. You can go for any Nvidia graphics card probably a latest version. Besides that you should either opt for a 15 or 17 inch display which is a standard size for animation. I would suggest you to have an HP or a Dell laptop, as they are one of the well known manufacturers of laptops providing quality machines.

You are an animator so you should aim for a high end configuration. You should try for a duo core processor of 1.66 Ghz which will ensure good processing speed. A RAM of about two GB RAM preferably a single slot one to get good quality performance. You have two options either 667 Mhz RAM or 533 MHz RAM, but the first one works quite well as compared to the second one. If you want Windows Vista as the operating system then you should go for the latest Nvidia Graphics Card. If possible go for a 500 GB or 1 TB of hard disk as the RAW files in animation occupy a lot of memory space.