Thread: uboot v/s multiboot

uboot v/s multiboot

While I can be pleased about people thinking about using Multiboot and working to make it well-matched, Multiboot is a bit devalued, and should not be used - It overwrites the kernel partition each time you toggle your boot Operating System . Bear in mind that the kernel partition is on a raw flash phone with -no- block-leveling; if one block goes faulty , your whole N900 could crash or turn faulty as well . So I was just asking about the uboot being done in these devices , Can any one please tell me is there any difference between uboot and the multiboot. I am eagerly waiting for your response . Please help me out.

Re: uboot v/s multiboot

The SD card must be organized with 2 partitions; the initial with the kernal, as uImage, and the the next one with the root file system. This is the typical technique used by the plugcomputer.org installer. Other techniques of booting from SD card are achievable; note for example that the Meteohub bootable SD cards needs dissimilar environment variables.I can tell you a bit how it actually works ?
    There are editions of the key U-Boot platform variables (bootargs and bootcmd) that are assigned for "usual" SD card booting, and extra variables set for NAND (UBIFS) booting. These variables are called as :
    • bootargs_nand
    • bootcmd_mmc
    • bootargs_mmc
    • bootcmd_nand

uBoot is the substitute, and it basically chainloads a new kernel off anything partition you wish for, consequence of which ressults in -no- additional writes to the kernel partition. It's a far well again a improved system and anyone thinking about dual-boot must be using it. If this is accurate can we move from multiboot to Uboot inorder to boot NITDROID.

<unquote>

If this is accurate can we move from multiboot to Uboot inorder to boot NITDROID

As the The actual bootcmd that is used is run bootcmd_mmc; run bootcmd_nand; i.e. first of all the plug attempts to boot from SD card, and if this fails, it boots from the internal NAND.The recover1/2/3/4 variables are used during the preparation of the configuration, and are not required after configuration is complete. They could be securely removed, but can also be helpful for restoring a part-configured plug.

We favor this multi-boot configuration for all the given factors , and as for now , we are substituting our old SD-only and UBIFS-only settings with this edition.

You might also do the given steps :
    • Change this multi-boot setting to overlook the SD card, if you favor never to boot from SD card
    • Change your previously-bought SD-booting setting using methods related to those listed in the given posts, in order to modify your system into a multi-boot configuration. Bear in your mind that the listed variables for NAND booting here are for a UBIFS file system in NAND, and are not appropriate for the actual / factory file system. We will work out and make public some instructions that are suitable to this task.
    • Change your previously-bought UBIFS configuration to optionally boot from a correctly formatted SD card, by applying the essential alterations to the environment variables listed in the above posts .

Considering the above posted replies you can give consider the following points :
    • You can use this settings without an SD card and achieve the advantages of fast-booting (UBIFS) Ubuntu on the interior NAND memory
    • You can make a set of SD cards with diverse configurations, for example one with Ubuntu, one more with debian lenny, a further with debian squeeze and so on.
    • You can make a snapshot / backup of your bootable SD card through booting from NAND, and copying the contents of the SD cards or network device.