Thread: Nokia N900 : To delete read only audio-files

Nokia N900 : To delete read only audio-files

I have a Nokia N900 of maemo version; I copied few music file from computer to N900. Not convinced how/why several files were copied as "read-only". After a short time, I tried to remove all MP3 files from N900, the majority of them went out, but some of them couldn't be removed. These files are sorted as "read-only" as well the folder has the identical restriction. I reboot the device and try another time to remove files with no success. . They continue to be as read-just with shaded properties not obtainable for alteration when reconnect the USB cable for PC Mass Storage or PC Suite Mode. So anyone knows how to delete this read only audio files from Nokia n900 then please suggest me some thoughts.

Re: Nokia N900 : To delete read only audio-files

Here is how I proceeded;
    • To download rootsh thurogh the Maemo repositories
    • Start Xterminal and type the following command;
    Code:
    ~ $ sudo gainroot
    /home/user # cd MyDocs
    /home/user/MyDocs # ls -a
    /home/user/MyDocs # cd .sounds
    /home/user/MyDocs # rm -r directory 
    /home/user/MyDocs # exit
    ~ $ exit

Specifically you will require using the cd, ls & rm commands. They will allow you to find the way list file content and remove files in x terminal. You also need to install rootsh from the repositories so you can gain root access with the command sudo gainroot. Definitely, you must download rootsh in order to gain "full access/rights" (it is how I implicit in my newbie level) to alter/erase files on system. Otherwise if you attempt just using simple X terminal rights, you certainly will find similar files but you won't be capable to delete them. I spent some time searching the folder enclosing the problematic audio files. It was hidden indicated by ".folder", so make sure to comprise the "-a" in your search the hidden files record and directories.

You could also have installed filebox in the nokia n900, which is a necessity for every user in my opinion, because filebox is a good utility inside the Nokia n900 cell phone and in that you can just browsed the folders and just delete the required audio files from them very easily. You require giving the proper filename in order to delete them completely from the cell phone. Filebox allows you to browse with root access and also to look out for the hidden folders if you desire. The solution you used skilled you something so that is an additional benefit too.

I never run FileBox as root. I have it, and utilize it for my file browsing, but I wouldn't desire to have point-and-click root critical powers by deleting the certain files which are not require to me. That said, if UIs are your thing, yes, you can start the FileBox, or half of the additional file managers in the repositories (though I like Filebox the nearly all myself), with root privileges. But I tried to run from the root access I unable to run it. So please provide me help about this.