Thread: Misconception of Triangulation in iphone

Misconception of Triangulation in iphone

I had read a memo and that was made to clear how iPhone's Locate Me works and how it is dissimilar from triangulation.But I am in a bit of confusion on this topic but I am not quite sure what where and when this term can be actually used , can anyone please tell me , as I was being told that it is a totally wrong term being used with respect to the iphone, please guide me towards the correct patch if anyone from the forum can . I will be very grateful.

Re: Misconception of Triangulation in iphone

You do understand that your meaning of triangulation is totally off, while yes it does refer to a triangle in most cases, in this scenario (or rather when it comes to position based services), it gets unclear.Even when making use of GPS receivers (phone, pnd, in car etc etc), they perform triangulation on the basis of time and distance from the satellites, in some scenarios more then 3 (up to 12 in the iphone I believe??). The unique description of triangulation has indistinct over the years as technology grows and they make up new descriptions.

Even if you take on a more wide description of "triangulation" as provided in the above posts , there's still no means to apply it to the GSM Cell ID location research and/or Wi-Fi MAC address location research methods implemented by iPhone. They actually mean trilateration. In truth Skyhook depend on lots of WiFi points, not mere one. I would recommend you to make use of trilateration term.

Using the broader description of triangulation, one could possibly apply it to GPS, although a GPS location resolution happens in a 3-dimensional (or in reality 4-dimensional) space. The issue is that posters in the forum generally refer to the 2 other methods as triangulation, which are most surely not, by any explanation of the word. So I think this term is being used in incorrect manner .

The accurate term is 'Trilateration' which is alike to 'Triangulation'. They are alike concepts and used compatible, even if to be precise not precisely the same. I do not charge anyone for using the wrong term. The mistake is made amongst professionals and even in copyrights. The services like GPS, Wi-FI Mac address location, and GSM Cell tower address make use of the term trilateration.

As you have time would you mind clarifying on the dissimilarity between GPS, aGPS, and A-GPS (assuming I have my acronyms correct)? I have gone through so many posts on here irritable that the 3G iPhone has awful/lame/crappy/false GPS when in actuality it's A-GPS is an enhancement over what we all know as "standard" GPS. I recognize why that is the case theoretically but you appear to have much improved technical knowledge that I and therefore a better way of explaining it.