Thread: Is it possible to use a blackberry phone without subscribing to a blackberry plan ?

Is it possible to use a blackberry phone without subscribing to a blackberry plan ?

I was thinking and wondering whether it was possible to use a blackberry without subscribing to a blackberry plan. I only want to use it as a phone and just to text messages - that's it I do not want to use it for any other purpose .I do not even want the email service as well . I just need a keyboard. I discovered a 7290 which is quad band. It looks as if it will accomplish my needs. What do you guys consider? Is this possible or do I require a data plan to even do send messages (but not the not email services and for the calling purpose ?

Re: Is it possible to use a blackberry phone without subscribing to a blackberry plan ?

Well I think whatever you wish to do is quite possible and achievable , you can accomplish your needs quite easily . You can make use of a BlackBerry and that too without a Blackberry data pack but simply for voice, sms and its pda functions.If that functions for you then you will be content . If you wish to surf the web, send and receive email and want to use point to point service you w ill require a BlackBerry data pack from your service provider.

Re: Is it possible to use a blackberry phone without subscribing to a blackberry plan ?

Yes it is quite possible, just insert your sim card in there and away you go. You will permitted to do on the blackberry apart from email, pinning, blackberry message or anything that uses data thats all.. This is something that came to my knowledge around a year back , however, so my info may be out of date. Perhaps things might have changed since then, I just cannot confirm that they have.

I will explain a bit about my case , hope you can make out something from it , When I had the Blackberry 7230 and T-Mobile was my service provider , I did not need to have a data plan or you can say that it was not automatically pinned on my account. As it was being said on the above post , I used it mostly for voice calls, and basically for the PIM features and the keyboard for messaging servicing . I did not want the data plan as push email was not significant. Now with Nextel, if you purchase a 7250 (suppose I have) or a 7100i and insert your sim card in it, You will be able to work with a data plan after while. It is automatic, one of the representative had made it confirm . However, I make use of a Boost sim in my device (have to obtain the sim and then get it activated in a Boost phone initially in order to work) and when sms and push email is out, I can still make use of a 3rd party email application, the Nextel Online works and the majority of other OTA things work.

Theirs is a plenty of misinformation on this question , so let me set the record straight as I've understood the situation to be.As I know it, NO carrier will allow you to use a BlackBerry without the linked to BlackBerry data plan, since they've all signed agreements with RIM in which they settled to make it certain that all customers having the BlackBerry were also signed up for a Blackberry data plan.