Thread: Installing Python on N900

Installing Python on N900

How do you install python for the Nokia n900? I want to install python because I already downloaded the rotate.py but I don't have python installed on my phone. Can someone just give me a file that I can put into my phone and then just find the file with Filemanager and install Python? I'm pretty sure the file I want is in the repository but I don't know where to find it. Please give a url or a specific place to find the file. Thank You!!

Re: Installing Python on N900

Well, as you said "I already downloaded the rotate.py but I don't have python installed on my phone", first make sure that you have OpenSSH package installed on your N900 device. That only python will work or else not. Once you are done with installing OpenSSH package, simply develop the python code on your computer and just scp the .py file on your device. Once done, simply start the installation.

Ummmm. I'm not sure how to check if I have OpenSSH and if not how do I install it. I have absolutely no experience with this kind of phone so a step by step process would help me greatly. Thanks a lot !!

OpenSSH is the most common client and server package. You need to decide whether to install either only the client or server, or both. Be conscious that the installation could take some time and even will show as frozen, as SSH keys have to be generated during the install. You can download it from here.

Okay, thanks so much. So once I have downloaded both the client and server I will be able to run Python scripts?

You will first need to enable Extras repository in your phone first in able to install the client and server. Then you will have to download the rootsh and install it on your phone and with the sudo gainroot or root command you will get admin access in xterminal that would help you in gaining directories access. Read more about it here - Tips for Maemo 5 and the Nokia N900