Thread: Do we get roaming charges if we turn our phones to Air plane mode

Do we get roaming charges if we turn our phones to Air plane mode

Hi guys I am a journalist working in a very reputed media company. Travelling has always been my passion. I been travelled a lot in India, almost every streets of Delhi, Calcutta and Mumbai. It has been quite long in this industry, and on the basis of my loyal and consistent work I have been offered a project for which I will be going abroad for atleast a month. I am a reserved kind of person and like to conserve what I earn, rather than spending my money for nothing at all in return. I have travelled all over India but flying abroad will be my first experience. So I was curious about the fact that will I get roaming charges if I turn my phone to the Air plane mode while I am in abroad.

Re: Do we get roaming charges if we turn our phones to Air plane mode

One thing you should keep in mind while you travel abroad is that you may have the risk of spending a fortune on roaming and international phone charges. If you travel abroad with your regular mobile phone you will have to pay so-called roaming charges to your current service provider. You may have to pay for roaming regardless of whether you make or accept calls. Roaming charges can be as high as $3 a minute. Or they may come in form of a high connection fee. So if you desire to continue using your normal phone abroad the way you use it at home you may end up paying $200 a day or more. This is far too expensive for a normal guy to bare the expense. So what I suggest you is to keep your phone at home and try making calls from phone boots in abroad. This can sound strange but is an excellent alternative. And never try the Air plane mode in abroad it does not work you are still being tracked and charged for the service.

I think I have a better solution for you. I am a teenage and am into a the business of import and export, so I need to travel a lot around the globe. I am never in one country for more than a month. I have tried the Air plane mode and it does not work and believe me, if you really try that you are going to end up getting terrific and big roaming charges from your current service provider. But I have a solution so dont be scared, you can try the idea of buying a local SIM card or phone in a foreign country. This is the most popular thing to do these days. You can usually buy them at the airport where you land. Many phone companies will give you a free phone with free incoming and local calls. They think you will be spending a lot of money on international calls. So I hope you are clear about the doubt you had and please don’t try the Air plane mode.

It will be a disaster if you try the Air plane mode in the International travelling. I have gone through that phase where I ended up paying not in hundreds but in thousands. You need to enquire about certain things first try contacting your service provider or researching for their roaming plans online, this is very much essential because fees and plans vary by carrier. You also want to confirm before you travel that your phone will work at your end destination and that your plan has the appropriate features for international roaming, if applicable. If you have a good plan then you can go for it or else the common trend is to buy a SIM from the place you land.