Thread: Bit processor used by Play station 3

Bit processor used by Play station 3

Hello! Everyone. I have pc at home. It has Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz using a 64-bit processor. Yesterday one question came in my mind while playing play station. I know this is a stupid question. I just want answer of this question for my curiosity. My question is to which processor is used by play station 3. Please finish my curiosity. I am waiting for suggestions as well as any source to find its answer. Thanking in advance for your precious replies.i would like to say thanks in advance to all repliers. please try to reply as much as possible to get rid of this problem

Re: Bit processor used by Play station 3

As far I know every digital system like pc uses bit processor. Bit processor plays an important role in overall working of the system. As far I know about play station it uses bit processor named as Cell processor. There are different kinds of bit- processors exist depending upon size. Cell processor is 64- bit processor. With VNX that is dual thread SMT design. I know one more thing about cell processor that is it contains 8 SPU. Each SPU contains 128 entries 128-bit register files. And has 256 kb as its local store. I am trying to find out more information about that. Once I collect all. I will definitely send it you first.

I know the bit processor used by play station 3. After goggling I come to know about following features of cell processor.

• To view system memory it uses 10-way coherent threaded machine.
    • It has chip memory just around 2.5 MB.
    • Number of transistors used by him is 234 million.
    • It is fabricated with 90 nm SOI process technology.

Play station 3 uses cell processor as its bit processor. Question will definitely come in your mind that why they named it as cell processor instead of indicating it with the size of processor. Answer is it is nothing but a name of technology used by this bit processor. The name cell indicates the modular architecture used by bit processor. Cell processor has the functionality of performing floating point calculations. I assume that you are familiar with the term floating point. It performs floating point operations simply by increasing or reducing the no. of SPUs. It has cell chip which is responsible for scaling devices with your machine by utilizing parallel type of processing.

I am not a daily net surfer. From Wikipedia I got following information about ps3:-
    • PS3 uses the Cell microprocessor (3.2GHz)
    • Six accessible Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs).
    • Capable of performing floating point operations.
    • 32MB of the XDR memory