Thread: Media Player 11 & Denon iPod dock ASD-51

Media Player 11 & Denon iPod dock ASD-51

I'm having an awful time getting my Denon ipod dock ASD-51 'seeing' or 'recognising' my media player 11 on my main computer running XP. I have tried almost everything, or so I think, and even when I discovered another post here from a bottleneck70 back in Oct 2009 who had exactly my issues and configuration, I thought I was home and dry.......No.... I followed his instructions to a T and it still doesn't work.

My set up is a mix of wireless and wired network, the wired pc's are achieved with Devolo mains adapters, which work outstandingly. My BT Homehub is next to my TV, which is where I have the dock. Behind the TV, I also have a Toshiba laptop, mainly used for itv.com. It was intended to be used for iPlayer but have since got a Sony BluRay player with it it integrated.. The dock is wired into the hub, and the hub is powered by one of the Devolo's. I have configured the XP machine incessantly. The XP machine can 'see' the dock, media settings are set to share to the dock, but I cannot see the media server from the dock. The dock can see the Windows 7 laptop and recognises it isn't authorised (to share) but try what ever I can, it doesn't see the XP machine. I have turned the firewall off ( ), disabled AVG and Spybot, and turned various services on. Until I read bottleneck70 post, I didn't have SDDP or UPnP running as a host, but this hasn't helped.
    I haven't yet reinstalled WMP 11, although I have previously when I had another dock which subsequently failed under warranty.
    I would really grateful for any (constructive!) suggestions as I am going round and round in circles at the moment.

Re: Media Player 11 & Denon iPod dock ASD-51

I think that on the box of Denon iPod dock ASD-51 there's an Apple icon which says "Made for iPod". iPods are made to work best with Apple iTunes, not Windows Media Player. Although they play mp3s, iPods do not support WMV, WMA (The Microsoft Windows formats), nor FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec). So for me it made sense that "since the iPod can play them the Dock should as well" since it's meant to be used by iPod owners.

Hmmm, thanx Thomas321. you are right but I think that may refer to the docking function. Not only that, I can't get it to work iTunes even though iTunes says that sharing is switched on, plus the Win7 laptop is 'seen' by the dock and that doesn't even have iTunes on it.
    On the back of the box, the first main characteristic says that it can access WMP11 and above, to get music & photos from the PC, which is what I am trying to do. Supported files include AAC WMA and FLAC.
    Prior to this docking station, I had an earlier model which did stream successfully. Unfortunately, this one failed, again under warranty (honestly, I don't mistreat them) which resulted in me getting this later model. I'm sure it should work and think that it is going to be something to do with XP, either a service not running or something else blocking it going out. I don't really want to upgrade my PC to Win7 yet, it would be a massive mission and no guarantee it will work.

I also think that it might be a problem in the internet connection area, how did you setup the Denon iPod dock ASD-51 to stream on Windows Media Player? Check the below image for some refrence:

Additionally download the Denon iPod dock ASD-51 manual from here. One thing I have noticed that the access points need to support WPS.

Hi Viceman, interesting thought although I'm not sure what you mean with 'internet' connection, and whether you mean network connection because I use the Devolo mains plugs to connect the local area network. As I wondered if these were 'blocking' it from the XP side, remembering that the XP machine detects the iPod dock very easily, I setup a wireless connection as well. That made no difference. Mind you, the dock is still using the wired conection, maybe I need to disconnect that and force it into wireless mode?? BTW, I think that the WPS is only used when setting up a wireless connection and for making it a breeze. My setup is similar to your top right diagram.