Thread: What is iPhone's "other" space in iTunes

What is iPhone's "other" space in iTunes

I am asking you a strange question which you haven’t heard from anyone before. The question is regarding iphone. When you are synchronizing your iphone by using iTunes it will shows you several options with how much space left in your phone. The space information includes music/photos/etc and it also lists the “other” space info. So my question is what exactly the “other” in this info? For which purpose this space will have been used? Is it the installer or something? I have asked this about many users and no one has the precise answer about it. I hope that after posting here I may get the right answer.

Re: What is iPhone's "other" space in iTunes

As you say it might be possible that the iphone is utilizing “other” space for its internal files and backups. Otherwise it is freeing space for some important application and OS updates. When you see in other mobiles probably the other is used for storing messages, contacts, calendar notes and some other information. It is possible that iphone “other” space is for same reason.

I think it is not for any kind of external storage space but it is used as internal temporary cache memory. I assume that you are aware about cache. The iphone might be using this space for some large processes from the application. It might be backup memory space for phone’s internal operation. Or anything from non-iTune apps, saved games files, temporary stored files, memory info files, etc. The ITune may be showing as “other” when any kind of space that cannot be recognized by the ITune when synchronizing.

The “other” space showed up in ITune is a mixture of several things like temporary internet files, internet or other history, contact list info, Saved data from application such as games, Emails, SMS, cookies, cache, Album Arts or some hidden system files etc. As you mentioned the other also includes cydia, installer and customize. You can clear out those any time to free up the space.

The other is just the additional memory usage other than music, photos, videos and applications. It may be anything in your iphone other than what I mentioned before. There is nothing to worry about until it is acquiring much space than it is really needed. As I know many users are complaining that their phone is demanding much storage space than normal position. At this time you need to clear several things inside it otherwise you won’t get a enough space for your Audio and Video.