Thread: Best External Hard Drive for Mac OS X

Best External Hard Drive for Mac OS X

I am using my laptop from last many years and recently I have installed the Mac OS X on this laptop so I kind of newbie to Mac OS. This laptop is containing huge amount of videos and music files. I want to make my laptop lighter now by copying all those data to a nice external hard drive. I want to ask you guys that which would be better external drive to use on Mac OS X?

Re: Best External Hard Drive for Mac OS X

I think there is no restriction for using any external hard drive on Mac OS X as you can use almost all the brand’s of the hard drive on this operating system. Mac OS X merely shows any problem after connecting any device to it except some Sony devices such as walkman. But I have seen any mac user having problem for connecting any external hard drive. Still I would be recommending you to buy Iomega which have never shown me any problem for using it on my macbook. You may choose the brand as per your choice as I am quite sure that it should be working as well.

FreeAgent Pro GoFlex: Hard ultraportable station with intelligent office! The FreeAgent Pro is a GoFlex HDD ultraportable offering protection premium. It includes an intelligent station GoFlex for greater ease of use. It guarantees a great flexibility, so you can maximize your digital world. With GoFlex Pro, save and secure your content easily, and access your data with ease:
    • Comes with backup software and advanced user-friendly providing automatic and continuous backup of all your precious files and folders on your PC as on your storage devices connected
    • Equipped with powerful encryption technology that ensures the continued protection of your files
    • Allows to easily restore the previous version of a file from backups
    • Includes management tool Seagate dashboard for easy management of backup programs, encryption of files and a snapshot of the available capacity

I suggest you to buy a Western Digital My Book 1 TB 3.0 as it would be like to buy a backup solution only 1 time, 1 Tb is going to serve for much longer time. It is one of the best 3.5-inch drives on the market. Performance should be at the rendezvous. I must say it shows attractive characteristics: 7200 rpm and 64 MB of cache. Here we test the 1 TB version, but know that there is also a version of My Book 2 TB 3.0. What store a large number of very large files! The USB 3.0 interface is connected to the computer using a cable supplied and which measures 114 cm. We would have liked a few centimeters extra history to reach the computer cases far removed from the office. The transformer is not built into the 3.0 My Book and it will not be forgotten if we ever carries the My Book 3.0.

If you are buying a new external hard drive you should keep in mind that it would be always better to buy a latest product with the latest technologies so that it would be having more compatibility. Though it becomes exactly opposite if your machine is of old days. But buying a new technology helps you to make your device working on even latest machines with new features. I suggest you to buy Iomega - eGo Mac Edition.Excellent little external hard drive, fast and very quiet. The possibility of using three different ports (FireWire 400, 800 and USB2) is a very good thing, especially for those doing video transfers. Once connected (in one second), the drive was immediately recognized by my Macbook Pro 15 '. Finally, I recommend using this drive for backup with Time Machine because of its ease of connection, its compactness and its self-supplied.