Thread: Linux Distro live CD for Dell Inspiron laptop

Linux Distro live CD for Dell Inspiron laptop

I have just purchased a Dell Inspiron mini and would like to install Linux Mint 7 Main. On my previous laptop it has been installed very easily. I downloaded the file LinuxMint 7.iso, then burned a CD-Rom and installed while the "dual boot" Windows XP. But now i think that the Linux mint is not very good operating system to be installed on my system. Hence i would like to know which of the linux distribution will be the best for my Dell inspiron Mini. Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated.

Re: Linux Distro live CD for Dell Inspiron laptop

The best distribution which can be installed on your dell inspiron laptop is the Ubuntu 10.04.Linux has developed rapidly in recent years and the once-Freak operating system is a user-friendly and powerful all-round operating system has become. Until recently, the installation for "normal" PC users to accomplish little, but now everything is different. So simply go to the Ubuntu website and you can simply get it installed on your system.

If you feel that your system has resources are low. You want an operating system which requires low resources. Own laptop as the first two trials XFCE starts much faster! Slim and beautiful without much embellishment. However, for my taste, the menu is a bit too spartan. Here and there are missing some symbols. Technical program features the most. I had major problems, however, have added the wireless connection since network-manager-gnome to XFCE is not running (I had on the Ubuntu box), I had to get something read in Wifi-radar and WPA Supplicant. But you can definitely try it out if your system resources are somewhat low.

For me the choice is really between Kubuntu and Ubuntu, I just want some applications and settings. I do think, though, KDE comes with many useful helpers that are missing from Ubuntu (and I also like to use and need). I find Ubuntu very good and usefule. Customer Experience is just great. What I take now I am really torn. Maybe one or the other can refute my "observations" and help me somewhat in the decision. That would be really great!

i think you should install the Ubuntu 10.10 LTS. Since it has a menu navigation and the ease with which you can adjust everything, is just great. The included applications, I find enough in principle to re-install and I have really nothing to the HTML editor. Thunderbird instead of Evolution would be nice, but no matter - you can re-install it myself. Clean, uncluttered interface - all in all, a good all-round package. So there is no need for adjustment. Moreover its free and simple you can directly download the Ubuntu 10.10 from ubuntu.com . The Ubuntu Netbook edition is one of the best to get uninstalled. The new Unity interface is now the default in Ubuntu Netbook Edition. This includes the global menu bar as part of the default interface. The date/time indicator now has a real calendar widget. The standard photo management application has been switched to Shotwell. Evolution express is also available in the default launcher. This interface is more suited to netbook interfaces. This is the best linux ditribution you must install the same on your netbook.

Xubuntu is intended more for older PCs that are not as fast. One benefit created this version, so that owners of older PCs to Ubuntu, Kubuntu is intended more for the newcomers, who want to first get used to Ubuntu Linux. The simple Windows like surface as helps. But you can also use Kubuntu or Xubuntu. The DVD problem is solved or will be, I'm sure. Among the various tools, as you can surely find alternatives. if not, one can use a GTK software under KDE and vice versa with Xubuntu that works too. I would choose the distribution on the speed of your computer, it is older and not so fast, I would rather use Xubuntu, it's a little faster rather Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I hope I could help you.

Kubuntu 10.10 Beta comes with the latest KDE Software. KDE Platform, Workspaces and Applications were updated to 4.5.0. The recently released 4.5.1 update will arrive shortly. For 10.10 Beta, Kubuntu has merged the Desktop and Netbook images into one image featuring both the Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook workspaces. The appropriate workspace for your machine will be launched at login, you can also change the workspace in System Settings.

Additional features of Kubuntu 10.10

• Plasma Netbook now sports the Global Menu by default.
    • The defaults web browser is now Rekonq, a KDE browser based on Qt Webkit.
    • The new KDE bluetooth application collection Bluedevil is now installed by default.
    • Pulseaudio is the default sound server to match other Ubuntu variants.
    • KPackageKit updates bring a faster backend and an updated UI that provides a new Categories page, and new features such as a backup/restore tool for the list of installed packages.
    • Kubuntu's installer (Ubiquity) now has an updated look and layout. Install starts after partitioning making it a quicker experience.