Thread: Keyboard problem in Lenovo Y560

Keyboard problem in Lenovo Y560

Few days before only I have upgraded myself from desktop to Lenovo ThinkPad Y560 Laptop and having Microsoft Windows 7 operating system installed on it. My system was giving excellent performance. While surfing on the internet last night I was facing problem with my keyboard. Essentially laptop detects a key is being present but it doesn't know which. Because it doesn't know which, nothing is typed on screen. Also sometimes some strange characters appear on the screen without typing. I tried restarting the system but the same problem exit again. I need a solution to solve this problem.

Re: Keyboard problem in Lenovo Y560

Suppose that you are using the Lenovo ThinkPad Y560 Laptop from long hours without stopping in between. Then using the system for such a long time may lead to malfunction of certain hardware devices. You should shut down the system for some time and then restart the system again. This may end the background processes and it will give sometime to cool your hardware devices such as keyboard, mouse.

You might be facing problem with the keyboard such as unnecessarily typing is going on or when the typing is done nothing appears on the screen. Then in that case to solve this type of unwanted problem you may replace your keyboard. If the warranty for the keyboard is existing then you may contact Lenovo support line and ask them for replacement.

The keyboard issued may occur then you may avoid these steps to solve it.
    1. Even though we keep laptop in clean place it is possible that the dust may get attach to the fan, motherboard and Keyboard. Due to this dust it will block the hardware to function properly.
    2. When certain types of driver such as graphics card driver if not installed properly then it may affect your laptop.
    3. If you are having bug in the software then it may also affect the functioning of laptop.
    4. When the system is running for a long time then due to over speed of CPU the laptop performance becomes unstable.

The keyboard functioning may be unstable because of something is going wrong. This improper functioning is temporary. In that case you should remove the keyboard. You just remove the hinge cover, remove the two screws and unclip the latch. Now that it's removed, shake it any dust if present will be removed and reconnect it. Switch on and check if the problem persists again.

You are using the system and for a sudden some problem occurs in the system either related to the hardware or the software then you should shut down the system and restart it again. After the system starts booting then you should press F9 key to enter into the safe mode. In the safe mode right click on my computer icon from the desktop. Select manage and click on device management. In the device management right click and remove the keyboard. Restart the system and attach the keyboard again also in the device management and update the keyboard after attaching. Problem will be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Beothuk View Post
    The keyboard functioning may be unstable because of something is going wrong. This improper functioning is temporary. In that case you should remove the keyboard. You just remove the hinge cover, remove the two screws and unclip the latch. Now that it's removed, shake it any dust if present will be removed and reconnect it. Switch on and check if the problem persists again.
    can you be more elaborate with the instructions to remove the keybord? where are the screws that need to be removed?

Quote Originally Posted by levilib View Post
    can you be more elaborate with the instructions to remove the keybord? where are the screws that need to be removed?
    To remove the keyboard, do as follows:

1.Turn off the computer; then disconnect the ac adapter and all cables from the computer. Wait for a few minutes, till the inside of the computer cools, before you start the following procedures.
    2.Close the computer display, and turn the computer over.
    3.Remove the battery.
    4.Remove the four screws that secure the palm rest, and the one screw that secures the keyboard
    5.Turn the computer over and open the display. Push at the sides of the palm rest so it bends upwards in the middle a little, and lift it away from the computer a little.
    6.Move the palm rest carefully away from the computer until you can see where it's connected, and then detach the connector.
    7.Carefully lift the keyboard until you can see how it's connected. Hold the keyboard above the computer, and then detach the connector. Now the keyboard has been removed.

More information can be found here.

My suggestion to you is not to try to open that on your own if you are not having the proper knowledge of that. You might create more problems with that. You should visit the dealer or contact the manufacturer. Other than this, you can also try to update the driver for the keyboard and see if that is able to work for you.