Thread: Thinkpad T30 facing fan not working

Thinkpad T30 facing fan not working

I am facing the problem with my ThinkPad T30 fan which fails many times due to which my motherboard crashes. It has also spoiled my controls of the system and received a "Fan Error" message and wouldn't go beyond the IBM splash screen (it would proceed to shut itself off after the message) Does anyone know the instruction to install a fan in a ThinkPad? I am not able to find a new fan through Lenovo.I am going to buy a fan online and try to install it myself. So tell me what I have to do? Any hints, ideas, suggestions would be great!

Re: Thinkpad T30 facing fan error

Even I got the fan related message and cleaning it all over the vents does not actually assist me. for me the solution was to change the whole assay - fan and heat sink - with a utilized one from a 1.8Ghz T30 so far so good, it remain the temperature reasonably low (considering it is a slower fan) - around 40 C in normal use and around 70 in heavy load in the meantime, I have opened the old fan - it is really simple to dismantle it, and clean the bearing - after that and some WD40 it spins a lot better - no it is simply up to me to find some time to place it back.

My T30 thinkpad sometimes provides me fan error, as sometimes it works great but fan creates odd noises. I understand forums and thinking that I have to uuninstall fan to clean it, first thing per Lenovo support & download instruction I require new screws after I opened them once and how I clean fan and what is thermal grease and what kind of oil I require to lubricate fan?

You be able to simply change the fan assembly after you take out the palm rest and keyboard.
    1. Take out the battery and unplug the AC adapter.
    2. Take out four screws marked with yellow circles. These screws securing the keyboard.
    3. Take out eight screws marked with orange circles. These screws securing the palm rest.
    4. Lift up the keyboard plus unplug the keyboard cable from the motherboard.
    5. Lift up the palm rest plus unplug the touchpad cable from the motherboard.
    6. Take out three screws securing the fan assembly; unplug the fan cable from the motherboard. Lift up and replace the fan assembly.