Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad W500: Cloning Hard Drive

Lenovo ThinkPad W500: Cloning Hard Drive

I have attempted using hard drive clone from Miray software but it needs "exclusive access" in order to run. There is no orientation in Lenovo or Microsoft help to "exclusive access". I am really happy to attempt incredible else if anybody has been victorious. Contemporary system is W500 along with Vista Ultimate and 125GB 7200RPM drive (Hitachi). New drive is 325GB 7200RPM (also Hitachi) that is in the ultra bay. Any suggestion would be respected.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad W500: Cloning Hard Drive

I have the similar setup as you apart from for the ultra bay. I was going to get the ultrabay but was not able to obtain any cloning software to boot from USB so gave up. Yeah you was able to try acronis which they speak work from windows but I like doing raw bit for bit cloning. I ended up using clonzilla booting from a CD in the DVD drive along with the source drive in a caddy connected via USB. It will not work the other way around. clonezilla is extremely confusing to use as the GUI but it worked perfectly. would have preferred ghost 2003 which I have used for years on vista SATA cloning but just was not able to get the w500 to familiar with the disk connected via USB thought it would help out as no one else replied. If you require more help I will try to check back soon.

Acronis is able to do the similar thing with a sector by sector copy, but the end result will essentially be the similar except the sector by sector copy will take up the equal amount of space as your hard drive even if the disk is empty. By utilizing the acronis to create a copy of a partition or the total hard disk from Windows works huge for me.

I have seen all the post which is given over here and regarding this I just want to say that a second choice would be to make use of Easeus Disk Copy. It will do a sector-to-sector clone it is same like Acronis. On the other hand, this is a bootable CD along with a tremendously easy user interface. And regarding this as soon as I get the more information I will try to inform you over here.

I thank all those who added their replies to this topic; devoid of their comments, I would not have been able to clone to an advanced ability drive. As it was, this job took a huge deal of time. Certainly there are other ways to do it, but here is what I did. To productively clone my unusual drive, I utilized both Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 and Acronis True Image Home 2009.
    1. I installed the original, "raw" (OEM) drive in an outer field and attempted to connect by using SATA. The drive was not able to found for the reason that it was not partitioned. I also attempted connecting using USB, with the similar result.
    2. I completed a CD-R Acronis Boot Disk, put the raw drive into the W500, booted from the Acronis Boot Disk, and formed a partition on the "raw" drive.
    3. I toggle the drives back.
    4. The W500's drive has 3 partitions: B, P, and R, and this is probably a trouble for True Image.
    5. I attempted to clone the W500's drive to the new drive, by utilizing the "proportional" transfer method. And it worked for me so if anybody still going through this then try this I hope this will going to help you.