Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad T400 hard drive boot failure

Lenovo ThinkPad T400 hard drive boot failure

I have the Lenovo ThinkPad T400 with me and I have seen that this laptop was serving with the best possible effort that it could. It lasted for 1 year without much issue but from few days I have noticed bunch is issues with this laptop and I really want to have this out of all the issues that it is facing at the moment. I have seen that the laptop now fails to recognize the Hard Drive that is on the system. I really cannot have the hard drives for me. Even I am facing difficulty in entering the D drive and the F drive and I really cannot and hence I even cannot try for restoring or repairing. Is there anything with which you all can help me with? I really want to have something that can work for me. Please come up with some valuable solutions. Also when I try to access the drive I can receive the following things for me: File: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc00000e9 Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. I thought that this will help you so that you can help me. Hope to hear your word soon on this matter.

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad T400 hard drive boot failure

I too have the Lenovo ThinkPad T400 with me but I had never come across with such an issue with the laptop. I really think that you will be require to take good care if the laptop so that it can last for long. You have mentioned that the laptop that you were using was not able to have access to the laptop and hence I think that it will be great if you can have the extension on the warranty and then let the Lenovo Tech Support see the issue all by themselves. I think that the hard drive of yours has been corrupted and hence is coming up with the issue. If at all you would have been under the warranty I would have suggested you to take the thing to the service center but as you are out I think that it will be wise to have the things done in the manner that I have suggested. Go to the service center and see what they can suggest you in this matter.

In my opinion I think that it will be really nice if you can have the Ultimate Boot CD in your case. Ultimate Boot CD is completely free for the download. I think that it will be the best choice to go with. Here is the link for the Ultimate Boot CD. Just download it from there and see if that can help you in the situation that you are struck with at this instance. It can be used if you want to run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives. If you want to free yourself from the slow loading speed of the floppy drive this tool can be brought in the action there. It can also be used if you want to consolidate as many diagnostic tools as possible into one bootable CD and it can also be used if you want to run Ultimate Boot CD from your USB. See if this can really help you in the situation so that you can have the things in the proper manner.

You had mentioned in the post regarding the error and I think that you should have a close look at that error and for that it is better to have a look at the link that I am giving below. This was the error 0xc00000e9 that you were talking about and here is the link for the same error: 0xc00000e9. Please follow the link here and see if really the link has something on the discussion to carry for. In addition to that I would also suggest you to look for running the chkdsk command. Well this command can be used to see and verify the errors. Run the command and please see for the errors. In addition to that if you want you can try inserting and removing the RAM and see if that can help a bit there.

I would like to draw attention of all the active members here to see for the Hard Drive Quick Test Tool and see if that can be treated as the remedy here. Please follow the steps below and you will be able to run the Hard Drive Quick on your laptop.

Running Lenovo Hard Drive Quick Test

To run Lenovo Hard Drive Quick Test from Windows, follow these steps:
    • Download the test to your computer.
    • Run the application install and choose the defaults. Once installed, the application will be placed under a "Lenovo Services" choice on your Start Menu.
    • If the application detects that the Lenovo System Toolbox is already installed, it will ask whether you want to continue the installation. This is because the new hard drive test is installed by default as part of the Lenovo System Toolbox.
    • Choose a drive if you have more than one drive.
    • Start the Test

Testing in process:
    • The test may take 4 to 6 minutes depending on the size and speed of the drive.
    • When the diagnostics are complete, a message will be displayed indicating that test "Passed", "Failed", or "further testing is required to verify the drive's proper operation". If further testing is required, start running the extended test. The test may take more than an hour depending on the size and speed of the drive.
    • When the diagnostics are complete the extended test, a message will be displayed indicating that the test Passed" or Failed".
    • If the test failed, contact Lenovo Support Center

You can have the test on your system by visiting the following site: Hard Drive Quick Test

If at all in addition to that you want to have the Bootable version of the Hard Drive Quick Test then you will be required to have the package mediacreator_5499.00.exe for you.

You have the issue with the hard drive on the system of your so I would suggest you to make use of the USB stick instead and see if that can help you in this situation or condition. You can make use of the Hard Drive Quick Test for the USB as well. For that you will be required to see the instructions below:
    1. Have a USB Flash Drive to use for this process. Note: the drive will be formatted so make sure you backup any data from the key first.
    2. Launch the media creator file by double clicking on the mediacreator_5499.00.exe executable file from the drive and directory that you selected in the previous step.
    3. Insert the USB Flash Drive
    4. The first screen has a choice to "Select USB or CD/DVD" (USB is default). The "I agree to the terms and conditions" box is not selected and the "next" button is grayed out. Choose the Media Type to use, click the "Terms and Conditions", and select "next" to start creating the media.
    5. The next window shows available media, the "Next" button is grayed out. Single click on your USB memory key. The window has 2 options:
      1) Create bootable diagnostics (preselected) or
      2) Delete bootable diagnostics. Pick "Create bootable diagnostics" and select "Next" to proceed. Click "Next" and you will get a pop-up window "Warning this utility will erase all data on : {USB key info}".
    6. Click "yes" to proceed. Application sets up and stops at 50% (no pop up) and is waiting for the user to hit "Next".
    7. Clicking "Next" brings up the Windows format device Window (default is FAT 16 and quick is selected).
    8. Click "Start" to format key.
    9. Click "OK" to start format.
    10. Click "OK" when Finished.
    11. Click "X" in top right of window to close the Format Window.
    12. Click "Finished" on the application and the key is finished.

Note: In step 5, the "Delete Bootable diagnostics option" will remove the utility from the Key. In this case the key will also be formatted so make sure you backup any data from the key you wish to keep.