Thread: IP address of a GPRS mobile Phone

IP address of a GPRS mobile Phone

Hi friends, I am currently working with the project which requires the Java program. By working with is project I need to send the IP address and the access point details of the each and every client mobile to the server. For home routers on dialup lines, there is the dynamic DNS service. Is there something equivalent in the mobile world? Each modem would, of course, have its phone number as a reliable address, but how does that help me? Any comments on GPRS IP addressing would be helpful. help me to know the IP address when the GPRS is activated.

Re: IP address of a GPRS mobile Phone

As much as I know the public IP address of the mobile will be the IP address of the GGSN that is the Gateway GPRS Support Node of the mobile operator. If there is more than one GGSN then it is probably be the dynamic IP. I think that each of the mobile have the private internal IP address inside the mobile network which is being translated by the GGSN to the public IP address. I cannot see that it will help you either.

The data in the mobile, works basically as the same as that of the NAT that is called as Native Address Translation. But the IP address in to the mobile network does not use the IP internally. Mobile phones don’t have any kind of the IP address. Mobile phone use of the mobile communication network to reach the GGSN, it is the gateway to the IP address and also the internet in general. The IP address which we see is generally the address of the operator GGSN. So now you can only build the mobile originated data connection in between the IP server and the mobile phone. The MSISDN of the SIM card is used for identify the number of the mobile phone.

Gateway can be the address same as that of the IP address. With the help of it we connect to the other network. This is what is called is the Internet. First thing is that the IP is the network address which is being assigned to the device when it makes connection to the internet. Thus when the data is send and received during the transmission, the GPRS IP address is the network assignment to the mobile unit. And I can't see that will be much help for you.

Yes, the mobile phone make use of the NAT that is the Network address translation, to share the IP address. if you install the Utilities like the vxUtil from the web on to your pocketPC or the PDA then you would be able to find the local IP address. Download the utility from the cam.com/vxutil.html web page. By finding your IP address it is for you to share it with the different clients. By going to the whatismyip.com, it will give you the address of the proxy or the gateway which is used for the internet access on to the device.