Thread: Problem with Android G1 in playing videos

Problem with Android G1 in playing videos

Hello friends recently I have purchased an Android G1 phone and I really like all it features. However I don't know whether this is a bug or a something major problem, when I try to play AVi videos on Android G1, it works very fine but when I try to play the 3gp or mpeg videos then it doesn't. The Android G1 has a screen resolution of 480 by 380 in landscape, so if play the avi videos it will work perfectly, but when I try to transcode the video into 3gp or mpeg, the screen turns upside down and everything looks very taller and thinner. Can any one help me to sort out this issue. I am working on to rectify this issue as quickly as possible.

Re: Problem with Android G1 in playing videos

Hey if you are looking to solve this problem on your own then I would suggest you that you should use the command line for modifying the ffmpeg format. You can change the settings of the ffmpeg to a ratio that will enable you to see the videos properly. Or you can even do a specific pad size top and bottom, or stretch the screens to fit the videos that you would like to play. You can type in the following command in the command line
    $ ffmpeg -i ./infile.avi -s cif -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libfaac -ac 1 -ar 8000 -r 25 -ab 32000 -aspect 16:9 -padtop 0 -padbottom 0 -aic -umv -y ./outfile.mp4
    After doing this save the changes and then restart the phone and play trhe videos again and you will be able to see the videos properly.

Hey why dont you try the CIF (Common Intermediate Format) a standard resolution for mobile phone videos, and images produced by very low-resolution and highly recommended to play any kind of videos. CIF has a resolution of 352 pixels wide and 288 pixels tall that is 352 x 288. Or you can even go for GVGA that will also help you in adjusting the screen and comfortably play all the videos that you want. Also, you can try setting specific aspect ratios of 4:3 and 16:9 and with padding of 0 ,16 top and bottom, and 50 top and bottom. You can try all the options and then see which ever works for you. I hope all the options will work as they are equally very important and can help any one.

Hey you can even try this option and see if it works for you or not. In the command line of the Android operating system you can follow this approach to make the changes in the ffmpeg video format. I have also followed the same when I was having the similar kind of problem as you and was successful in able to rectify the the error.
    $ ffmpeg
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libamr_nb --enable-libamr_wb --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-nonfree --enable-decoder=h263 --enable-encoder=h263
    libavutil 49.12. 0 / 49.12. 0
    libavcodec 52. 4. 0 / 52. 4. 0
    libavformat 52.23. 1 / 52.23. 1
    libavdevice 52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
    built on Nov 29 2008 11:42:06, gcc: 4.3.1
    At least one output file must be specified

$
    After you have successfully made the changes don't forget to save the changes and after that try playing the videos and you will be able to play smoothly as you like.

Hey when you are using the command line to modify the ffmpeg so while compiling it use the following command for the configuration:
    Code:
    • ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-libamr_nb --enable-libamr_wb --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-nonfree --enable-decoder=h263 --enable-encoder=h263

After doing the above you have to make sure that you have successfully installed the "checkinstall". This will help you to have the source around to run "make uninstall".
    Once you have successfully installed the above code for installing the ffmpeg then you have to use this approach
    ffmpeg -i source-video.avi -s 480x320 -vcodec mpeg4 -acodec libfaac -ac 1 -ar 16000 -r 13 -ab 32000 -aspect 3:2 output-video.G1.mp4