Thread: Using Sony Mobile as a Modem

Using Sony Mobile as a Modem

Hello friends, I having the handset of Sony Ericsson of W series. I have the internet access with the 3G connection on my phone. I would like to use my Sony mobile as a modem on to my Linux box. I had managed to create the mobile work as a modem in windows with the help of related software. But I am unaware to do it in the Linux box. How could I use my phone as a modem on to the Linux system? Anyone having the idea about it? Please help what can I do?

Re: Using Sony Mobile as a Modem

I am right now using my Sony Ericsson K series phone as a modem with the help of Bluetooth connection. It is very easy to configure and install. Just install Bluez and wicd or the network manager –gnome, not to install the both of them and then add them as a Panel option. After that click on the Blue B and then search for your phone, it will then detected by the system and then add your phone to the list of the device. With the help of it now you can easily make use of the network manager for connecting with your mobile device by clicking it in the list which can pop up from the system bar, and then finally the connection gets established. Try it

Try out this setting if you want to connect your phone as a modem on to the system.
    • Open the option interface by selecting the tools in that go to the options to open the option interface.
    • Try to set the network type to WCDMA only and then click Apply. After sometime you will now access the 3G network.
    • If unable to access 3G networks after 3G network is selected then you may have set the APN as incorrect.
    If still the problem persist when the APN is set correctly and also the 3G network is selected then make use of the 3G mobile phone to check whether the local area is covered by 3G networks. If you are unable to connect to the 3G mobile network then you can infer that the problem is surely related to the network only.

If you want to create the new connection and also want to use your phone as modem then try to perform this step:
    • Firstly connect your USB cable to the computer and to the phone
    • In to the phone select the phone mode
    • After selecting the phone mode, then on to the computer, connect your phone to the computer, and then you need to identify and also name the phone. After it wait for the drivers to install, this is done automatically by the system.
    • Go to the Sony Ericsson PC suite application, click to the Tools and then to the Internet connection.
    • For creating the new connection, select Manage your Tools option, in that go to Add new connection.
    • Now to you internet connection wizard will appear. Follow the instructions given by the system and also enter the required settings for it.
    • Finally to connect to the Internet, click to the connect option in to the Internet connection window.

Do the following steps to make use of your Sony Ericsson phone as a computer modem.
    1. Download and install the Sony Ericsson PC suite form the sonyericsson.com or you may be provided the CD with your handset.
    2. Now try to connect the phone with the help of the USB cable or with Bluetooth to the computer. PC suite will automatically recognize your phone, after that install the drivers. Complete the installation process.
    3. Click on to the Sony Ericsson PC Suite icon. After it click to Mobile Networking Wizard. In that click to the view, in view click Full Mode.
    4. Click on to the new connection and then click on to the Next buttons four times.
    5. Now type your GPRS/EDGE Access point Name on the Access point Name(APN) field. Contact to the network service provider if you not having the APN.
    6. Click to the next option and then finish.
    7. Lastly click to the My packet switch and then click to the connect button.
    8. Now you will be able to surf to the internet with the help of your phone.