Thread: Using Nokia 3120C mobile to connect to PC for accessing internet

Using Nokia 3120C mobile to connect to PC for accessing internet

I am having Nokia mobile which is of the 3120C model. I have activated GPRS in my mobile. Now I want to connect my Nokia mobile into the system which is having Linux platform. For the connection I have used the USB cable and typed few commands to connect. Also successfully configured wvdial and the connection were successful but after disconnecting the cables and connecting the cables into the PC second time it fails to connect. After disconnecting the cable system hands and I need to restart. Is there any solution to overcome the problem of connection?

Re: Using Nokia 3120C mobile to connect to PC for accessing internet

You can use internet connection from the mobile into the system in a very easy and efficient way. You need to activate GPRS into your mobile. You can get the GPRS setting for your Nokia model by contacting the customer care of your mobile company. You need to save the GPRS settings. The GPRS will be activated. You can use your mobile to connect to the internet using USB cable. After connecting the USB cable from the mobile into the system you need to type the below commands:
    • You need to shell the command and note the device ID
    • sudo /sbin/modprobe cdc-acm >> /etc/rc.modules
    • sudo /sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x421 product=0x0ae >> /etc/rc.modules
    • sudo /bin/ chmod +x /etc/rc.modules.

After typing the above commands and configuring the wvdial you are able to connect to the internet and start browsing.

You can use USB cable to connect mobile to the system for browsing internet. After connecting mobile you can see the full browser. For browsing GPRS should be activated into the mobile phone and connect the mobile to PC using USB cable. After browsing of internet has finished and suppose you want to disconnect the USB cable from the PC you can use the below command for disconnecting it.
    sudo umount /media/PALMPRE
    But while using Fedora Linux operating system you need to give the below command.
    "su", (type your root password), "umount /media/PALMPRE", "exit". The USB will get disconnected from the PC.

Using wvdial for browsing internet is very much easy. After connecting mobile to the PC you need to configure your wvdial. Unless and until your wvdial is not configured properly you cannot connect to the internet. The steps to configure to the internet are given below.
    You need to run the wvdial.conf file so that it creates a configuration file for your modem and ISP. The output after running the wvdial file is as shown
    Code:
    [root@blah /root]# wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
    Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
    ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- 28800
    ttyS1<*1>: Speed 2400: AT -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
    ttyS1<*1>: Max speed is 115200; that should be safe.
    ttyS1<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
    ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- ATQ0 V1 E1 -- nothing.
    Port Scan<*1>: S2 S3 
    Found a modem on /dev/ttyS1.
    As the above code shows the com ports, searches for modem and determines its capabilities. If the output is different from the above one check your modem is properly plugged in, turned on and connected to com ports. After running the wvdial.conf you need to change the wvdial.conf file to enter your phone number, username and password required to connect. Open the wvdial.conf file. The wvdial.conf file appears in this way
    Code:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Modem = /dev/ttyS1
    Baud = 115200
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
    ; Phone = 555-1212
    ; Username = my_login_name
    ; Password = my_login_password
    Remove the “;” and enter the phone number, username and password. Save the wvdial.conf file. Run the wvdial and wvdial will dial your ISP. Wvdial will not terminate until the connection is terminated.

From the above solution I have successfully configured my wvdial.conf file and got connected to the internet. While browsing the internet I updated my antivirus. After the updating I am not able to browse the internet. Is there any problem while updating antivirus. I want a solution to overcome this problem or should I install some additional software for browsing the internet.

The browsing of internet has stopped because of updating antivirus. You can remove the antivirus update entries of antivirus from the device manager. To remove the entries follow these steps
    1. Go to Network Connections. In the Network Connections disable the firewall.
    2. Restart your system and then re-enable the firewall of your Network Connections.
    3. Download and install uninstaller software. It is a very clean utility to uninstall the software. After uninstalling restart your system. Now you are able to browse the internet.