Thread: How can I install Linux based application on Moto ROKR E6?

How can I install Linux based application on Moto ROKR E6?

Hi friends, I had the very brand new Motorola ROKR E6 phone. It is claim to be the Linux based device. How could I install the Linux based application or some other application based on it? How could I install the software in it? Please reply me as soon as possible and also provide me some download links if available for it. I have also found a link with the small tutorial for installing Open Moko and Qtopia on Moto Rokr E6. But I was unable to get it properly. Please provide me some good help.

Re: How can I install Linux based application on Moto ROKR E6?

You can install the Linux applications depends on the firmware version of your phone. In earlier firmware’s it allowed the installation of the native application. But now they blocked it in the newer firmware versions. So it is necessary to know whether which firmware application version your phone supports. Also you can lots of information about this topic on the Motorolafans.com. In it there is the separate forum for the E6 phone, where you will get the more information on this link. from there you will get the more help.

This device don’t display console to the user therefore it is not possible to boot directly into the shell and echo things. I think it supports Agetty for login with flag to auto login and then prevent console from display. But once we hack and then get hold of its roof fs, there should many ways to do it. Also most of the embedded system support the root files systems as the read only. So before doing any kind of changes to the boot order, it has to be changed in to the RW file system. The other easy way to install a virtual console and then run your shell scripts inside it.

Even for the Moto Rokr E6, there are terminal emulators developed for it. But the disadvantage is that it doesn’t work on all the firmware versions. An older firmware version mostly supports the running native application. So after the terminal emulator is installed, it can be easy to run the shell script. Also Check ReadMe file that comes with Moto Rokr for installation Instructions. You may alo get the pleanty of resources on Moto Rokr E6 at Motorolafans.com forums.

You can install the CHEESE application on your Motorola ROKR E6 as web cam on the Linux. The procedure for it is to download this application from the projects.gnome.org web site. Install the CHEESE application to use your webcam and it can also be downloaded from the Ubuntu Software center. Then install the vgrabbi, after it switch your mobile in the web camera mode. For switching it up go to the Setup option in that go to the USB mode in that Web camera. Then connect your phone to USB port of your computer. Start the CHEESE application. enjoy the high quality video recording now from it and use their phone as web cam on the Linux. Happy to help
    Last edited by Carlos16; 17-11-2010 at 01:42 AM.