Thread: Use Apple Hardware Test to test hardware

Use Apple Hardware Test to test hardware

I have the Apple MacBook Pro with me and the thing is that I am really fedup with the hardware failure of the same. I really cannot help all those things. Also the thing is that I cannot know how I can test the hardware if they are really the main cause for the problem here. I usually get the problems from the RAM. I have heard Apple Hardware Test but I really do not have any idea regarding the same. Can you all please tell me how I can use the same so that it can help me in testing the hardware?

Re: Use Apple Hardware Test to test hardware

Well it is true, that there is something called as the Apple Hardware Test that can help you with the problems of yours. You can make use of the bundled Apple Hardware Test that came along with your MacBook. Also please take care that the tests are completely dependent on the various models and hence I think you will have to keep notice of that. For the Ram problems I think that if at all you do not have the disc with you then you can RUN the MemTest and see what it is giving.

If at all you do not have the CD with you then I think that it will be nice if you can have the same from the official site of the Apple. Well it is free for the users that have purchased the notebooks from there. For the graphical or RAM errors, I think that it is really advisable to run the test at least for 3 hours or if at all possible let the test run overnight. It will run smoothly and if at all there will be a problem then it will give you the notification of the same. The notification will indicate where the error actually lies.

I will let you know how you can start with the Apple hardware Test. If the Mac is based on the Intel then you will have to simply insert the Mac OS X Install disc 1. It is the very disc that came along with the MacBook of yours. Once this is done then you will have to hole the letter D so that the Boot can start. By doing this the Hard Ware test will be loaded. Then you will be required to select the language. After the language selection you will have to press the Ctrl + L keys simultaneously so that you can enter in the loop mode. After that you will be required to select the extended test. After all the above procedure you will be required to let it run for at least few hours. Well the test will progress without any error and if the error occurs then it is the space where the problem lies. If at all you want to stop the test then you will have to again press the Ctrl + L keys simultaneously on the keyboard. Hope that you will have it for you.

Apple Hardware Test is an analytical tool that helps in detecting problems that are related to the hardware components that are interior to the computer. By the internal hardware components I mean the logic board, memory, modem, video RAM, and Apple's AirPort card. It does not care for the externally connected hardware components like the USB drives or Firewire devices. In addition to that it can not check for the non-Apple devices such as PCI cards from other vendors or from the any other third party. Apple Hardware Test does not verify your computer for problems that are related with the Operating System (OS) or other software related issues such as application or extension conflicts.

First of all let me get this very clear that the Apple Hardware Test is used for detecting the issues related to the hardware and it just cannot detect the issues that are brought because of the software. If at all you are thinking that your computer has a hardware problem, then the data provided by Apple Hardware Test can assist you to spot the issue. If Apple Hardware Test senses a breakdown, an error code will be presented. Once you get that code you will have to take the care of the error code on yourself. Just place the error code to the tech support so that you can have the proper support. If there is no hardware failure then the issue is for sure because of the software. It is one of several tools and procedures that can be used when there is some sort of trouble with the Macintosh. Below are some steps that can be followed so that the issues related to them can be encountered. Just have a look at those steps and before doing that please take care that you have the back up for your data:
    • Turn the computer off and on.
    • Check cables, peripherals, and user controls.
    • Turn off system extensions.
    • Rebuild the desktop.
    • Start up from the system CD that shipped with your computer.
    • Start up from the Apple Hardware Test CD, and run the Quick and Extended Tests.
    • Re-install Mac OS.

Well I have the steps that can help you perform the Apple Hardware Test on your MacBook Pro; well the same can be used on the MacBook Air as well. I think that both of them will have the same procedure. Here are the steps:
    1. Cut off all external devices from your computer and let the power adapter be connected to the notebook.
    2. Reboot the MacBook Pro with pressing and holding down the D key.
    3. After that the Apple Hardware Test chooser screen will appear.
    4. There you will be required to choose the language.
    5. After that you will have to press the Return key.
    6. Apple Hardware Test main screen will appear and then you will have to follow the onscreen instructions. If Apple Hardware Test notices an issue, it will display an error code for the same.