Thread: how to manually deploy a .xap to the emulator

how to manually deploy a .xap to the emulator

We are put forward builds of our Windows Phone7 XNA project and desired a way to carry the build devoid of transferring them the whole source tree and have them construct it in VS2010 just to obtain it in the emulator. I had not seen any discussion concerning it in here or other forums/blogs, so along with Process Explorer I had a glance at what VS2010 does. So you just check it out.
    "%XNAGSv4%\Tools\wp.exe" install "file.xap" "app Id" "GameThumbnail.png" "XapCacheFile.xml" /clean
    • And in this wp.exe is command-line Windows Phone management device. You are able to observe many other features by running it exclusive of any parameters.
    • file.xap is formed by VS2010 and is established in the output directory.
    • Application Id is the Guide found in Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs.
    • GameThumbnail.png is set up in the output folder.
    • XapCacheFile.xml is creatde in the transitional directory.

So I think this might help somebody who also desired a way to manually deploy a .xap to the emulator.

Re: how to manually deploy a .xap to the emulator

You have mention that it is windows phone application so I want to confirm here that it is about silverlight or something else. I think it is silver light because it has ApplicationIcon.png in place of GameThumbnail.png. At this point I think wp.exe cannot be utilized to organize your application to the emulator. So why you are getting this kind of error i.e. “Too many arguments “regarding this I do not know much more. But at the time of arranging the silverlight application you should search for the XapCacheFile.xml file. So just check this once.

I think the error which you are getting is because of the path which you have given in your code in that you have given spaces. So I think you just remove those spaces and you will get your solution. And in this path i.e. D:\MobileApps\ShopEdge\Coding\Windows Mobile 7 \ShopEdge_WinMo, in this you have not wrapped the paths in quotes. These are the only way which I know to deploy a silverlight application to the emulator emulator is to organize it through Visual Studio.

The application about which you are talking that is testing with a small Silverlight application, it appears that VS2010 begins the emulator straightforwardly and then utilizes the inter-process communication to organize the application. And then I also observe the same kind of error which is mentioned in the above I mean that at the time of trying to deploy a Silverlight app using the wp.exe tool. So I think here that this tips is helpful for XNA apps only.

I really want to thank you regarding this information because it is very useful and I also want to thank for posting this. Someone has been asking me about this. And I think that this is useful in future also. Firstly before this whatever information I was getting it was not up to the mark but this is right one. So if anybody wants any idea related to this topic then refer the information which is given in the above post.