Thread: Why to get mac mini in place of imac

Why to get mac mini in place of imac

I am considering iMac or an Mac mini, money is not an problem but I want to get worth of my money. I sometime play games occasional starcraft 2. How well would this work on mac mini, just want to know from the people who tried it. I am a general user mail or surfing web, watching videos and word processing but spent huge amount of time on computer. For storage space I do not mind as I use external, the only issue is screen and whether graphic card is enough to show movies without any slow down. I am thinking to go for iMac generally to get most from my money but I would like to listen why you have mac mini over iMac?

Re: Why to get mac mini in place of imac

I am having both of these an iMac and a couple of mac mini. I use mac mini for all the typical task such as editing video or audio, weblogic normally done on computer and the mini is connected via HDMI to TVs. I am using mini's for streaming tv shows, movies. The mini is a great media machine available for the TV but I would go for iMac for computing purpose, web surfing and emails.

I am using mini with Dell for its matte screen and low price. It does 1080p HD. The mini is made for cheaper upgrade system. I have returned a iMac for mini u2211h because it could not stand the glossiness, you can check out the iMac and look at some webpages with darker backgrounds to have an idea how reflective it would be.Anime plays fine and gaming depends on the game. I just pplay Quake based games and it runs flawlessly. And swapping the harddrive for a SSD seem easier in mini. So I will suggest you for 2010 mini with a dell u2211h and this will run all the application you are intended to run.

For me the deciding factor for me was the fact I use my iPad for most of my email and surfing. The 27 inch iMac is a great machine but not a good setup to sit at my desk with company to watch videos. The mini hoocked to a big TV screen and this has made it a lot of fun for me and also able to relax in my recliner while doing web surf on a good large screen. I do not watch much more live TV other than sporting events and my events pictures. So the ability to watch Hulu and netfix in our room is really nice. The mini has simplified of getting the so many things to the large screen. SD card would be also easily accessable but a small price to pay to consider the benefit of all this setup.

I have the same issue trying to decide if the iMac was a better fit to me as compare to mini. I think that if I got the mini I could use the save dmoney to purchase a 42 inch or bigger TV so that if I desired I could use it with the mini. I will did upgrade the ram right away but I have noticed that after reading a lot of posts about mini and I have also search about mini on Google that this was an issue most of the people have with this system. But now mini meets my needs perfectly and what I need is to get a large TV. Mini plug it to the perfect size of 24 of ACD. I also want mini because I do not want a glossy screen. Just wish that the price was not so bad.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

My eye can not tolerate LED backlight glossy screens so I had no choice except to get a mac mini. I would have taked iMac if they do not have those types of displays. Tell me if I am wrong but if I upgrade the RAm to 4GB I do not think any other benefit of the iMac over the mini. Even I do not know see that every one says mini is only worth money if you already have a display,keyword and mouse. I think mini is having advantage with the HDMI and a low energy cost. If it was not for a screen I would have bought iMac because it is an all in one box solution.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's