Thread: How to speed up your boot time in Snow Leopard

How to speed up your boot time in Snow Leopard

I have a Snow Leopard. At the beginning I had about 20 seconds between when I pressed the button to turn it on and the appearance of the display of choice of sessions, then 3 seconds to wait to be able to then use the Mac. Now it takes me 40 seconds, then 10 seconds to "load" my session. I have put nothing on startup (I checked), I noticed that since I have Time Machine enabled (external hard drive connected to 1 TB FireWire 800), my Mac is easily 10 seconds longer to boot! How to speed up boot my Snow Leopard to return to respectable time? thank you for your help.

Re: How to speed up your boot time in Snow Leopard

NetInstall gives administrators control the software installed within their structure. Ideal for upgrading all your Mac clients using a typical or custom installation of Mac OS X Snow Leopard, NetInstall provides an easy method for standardized deployment. Creating disk images based on the server with custom configurations, you can easily upgrade or restore Mac clients on your entire network, while saving time and eliminating the cost of distributing software on DVD or CD external.

You need to disable Dashboard Widgets. Each dashboard widget you allow consumes both processing power and precious memory. To stop widgets and speed up your mac follow these steps:
    • First Open up terminal.app situated in Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
    • Copy this, paste it in the terminal and hit enter: defaults write.com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES.
    • Then enter this: killall Dock.
    • Now Dashboard widgets are now disabled.

You can also Run the Mac OS X disk patch up utility place in Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and then run fix disk permissions. Download and run Monolingual to remove all the extra languages that are building into OS X by default and you are probable to never use. I removed all except English, Spanish, German and French since those are core languages on websites I sometimes frequent. Download and run XSlimmer to take away all unnecessary PPC (PowerPC) code from Universal Binaries. Only use this if you are under an Intel based Mac. As well it is worthwhile noting that I had problems with Photoshop after slimming the application, so perhaps keep away from using XSlimmer on CS3 or CS4.

You can also Download and run OnyX. Run the daily, paper and journal scripts. Obvious out all log files. Removing needless login items by going to System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items. Note that in order to really remove a login item you require to select the item and then hit the minus button at the base of the preferences screen. Even although Mac OS X has a journal filesystem that should routinely grip defragmentation on the fly, it doesn’t do a great job of keeping the drive from becoming fragmented. iDefrag solves these problems and more, by defragmenting and optimizing your Mac’s filesystem at boot time. All you have to do is restart your computer, run the iDefrag boot DVD and it resolve defragment the entire hard-drive. I observe a substantial performance boost (I would say up to around 20%) behind using this.

You need to minimize by using the scale consequence by going to System Preferences > Dock and altering the default as of the Genie effect to the Scale effect. Also you can uncheck animate opening applications to boost performance. Ensure you have a minimum of 10% disk space obtainable so that OS X can run effectively. If you dont have this a great deal space free try using Grand standpoint to resolve on what is using room on your hard drive and what you might be clever to delete. Remove fonts that you dont use. You can do this by leaving to the finder and removing fonts from your home folder > library > fonts. You require to turn off Universal Access by guide to System Preferences > Universal Access and turn off no matter which you're not using.

You can rate up TCP connections by opening the terminal.app and typing pico /etc/sysctl.conf and adding the following lines to the file:
    net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1460
    net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144
    net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144
    net.inet.udp.recvspace=74848
    net.inet.udp.maxdgram=65535

You can immobilize dashboard by opening up the terminal.app and running the command:
    Code:
    Defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
    and then run kill all dock to resume the dock.
    To optimize firefox’s tab/bookmarks/cache databases on OSX, close firefox, open terminal.app and run
    Code:
    #cd ~/Library/Caches/Firefox/Profiles; for i in */*.sqlite; do sqlite3 $i VACUUM;done; cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles; for i in */*.sqlite; do sqlite3 $i VACUUM;done;