Thread: iPhone Software Update times out

iPhone Software Update times out

Friends, I was updating the iOS in my iphone and whenever I try to do that it sows me the message saying that "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone. The network connection timed out." This message comes every time when I try to update it using iTunes. Earlier also when I was updating my iPhone 3G the same problem occurs and now it is with my iPhone 4. Please help me to get out of this.

Re: iPhone Software Update times out

I also faced the same problem and was not getting the solution for a ling time and finally I point out that the antivirus program that was running in that. I disabled the Anti-Virus program temporarily and downloaded the update without any problem. And after installing that again I enabled the antivirus program and it is done. You should also try to update by disabling the antivirus if there is any.

This may not be only antivirus that is aborting the update process. There are many other possibilities for that like the firewall that is that may be blocking the download process. It may also be your router that is blocking the port for download. There is also a possibility that is uncommon but may cause the problem that is TCPWindowSize parameter in the registry is incorrectly set. See for these possibilities also.

Firewall is not the problem for this because I have tried this after disabling the firewall protection. I would like to tell you all that the problem is not with downloading. I can download the file without any problem. The problem arises when I go for installing the update. The file for the update is processed by the iPhone Software Update. I hope this will help you all to provide the possible solution for this.

As you told that the problem is coming after downloading the file. So I think that the downloaded file is corrupted because it is not downloaded properly. You should download it again from internet and see the size of the file. The file size should be 391.184 and if you have the file size very different from this then the problem is with the download.
    Last edited by Simond; 14-10-2010 at 11:41 AM.

You can follow the followings steps and disable the firewall and the antivirus and you will find that the update will work.
    1. From the Start menu, click All Programs and click Accessories.
    2. Click Run. A Run window (command prompt) appears.
    3. Type msconfig in the Open field and click OK.
    4. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue. The System Configuration Utility opens.
    5. Click the General tab.
    6. Select the "Selective Startup" option.
    7. Deselect the "Load Startup Items" checkbox.
    8. Click the Startup tab.
    9. Select the "iTunes" and "QuickTime" checkboxes in the list.
    10. Click the Services tab.
    11. Make sure that "Hide All Microsoft Services" is selected.
    12. Click Disable All.
    13. Click OK.
    14. Click Restart. After restarting (and logging in to Windows), a message may appear stating that Windows has blocked startup programs and indicates the Blocked startup programs icon in the notification area (far right) of the taskbar. Click the message.
    15. Click the Blocked startup programs icon, select Run blocked program and select System Configuration Utility.
    16. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue. A window appears confirming that "You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts." Click OK. The System Configuration Utility appears. Do not click OK here as this will prompt you to restart again. First try to reproduce the issue you were having.