Thread: iOS 4.1 upgrade failed with error 3014 followed by request to restore

iOS 4.1 upgrade failed with error 3014 followed by request to restore

I keep getting an error when I try to update my iphone to iOS 4.1. I have the latest version of iTunes and everytime I try to do the update it gives me Error 3014 with message appearing upgrade failed. Any ideas to solve this problem or why it happens to me?

Re: iOS 4.1 upgrade failed with error 3014 followed by request to restore

1. Upgrade iTunes to the latest version available.
    2. Download iPhone firmware manually from Apple
    3. Hard reboot your iPhone by pressing both home and power button until we get the Apple logo.
    4. Remove the sim card from the handset
    5. Connect the iPhone to the computer. iTunes should detect a device. Press Shift button on the keyboard and then click the restore button
    6. Download the firmware and let iTunes do its operations
    7. Once the installation is completed, the iPhone should reboot by itself. Insert the sim card once again and wait until iPhone activates it.

The error which you get when upgrading to iOS 4.1 depends on what mode you are in. The error 3014 represents Recovery Mode. So to solve this, launch iTunes, click on Store and select Log-in. Log-in using the same credentials that was used to download and install applications on the iphone.

I think this is related to improper download of iOS 4.1. May be it is either corrupted or it is missing something. Try to redownload the software and see if that helps. I hope you are downloading it from Apple site itself. If this isn't helpful then I suggest you to put it in DFU mode.

The first thing that comes to my mind is USB port. May be it is faulty. You may try to use a different USB port. This can also be related to USB cable that you are using. Replace it and see if that helps. However error 3014 can also be related to a proxy settings which you might be having on your computer. Make sure you don't have any proxy settings enabled on your computer and if it is then disable it and see if that helps.

It happens when you have firewall software enabled and running. I may be wrong but I think Apple iTunes seems to have authentication problem for valid "developer status". It happened to me and I was running Norton Internet Security on my computer. It was blocking outbound net traffic. I was also getting a similar error message when trying to sync iPhone with iTunes. But when I disabled it in order to let iTunes sync, it worked like a charm.