Thread: iPhone update server could not be contacted, but why

iPhone update server could not be contacted, but why

I would like to update my iPhone to the latest OS (iOS 4.1) but the problem is that I am unable to contact iTunes simply because iPhone says that update/restore server could not be contacted. There is no specific reason mentioned why this happens. I tried turning off my firewall, but it was of no luck there. Is there anyone else who is having this issue?

Re: iPhone update server could not be contacted, but why

You may get the error "iphone update server could not be contacted" if you have done any changes in your network settings. It happened to some of those who did that and it ended up with this error. May be you have some proxy settings which requires some authentication that is not achieved due to which it failed to connect to iTunes.

Try the recovery mode to see if this works. Connect the USB cable to your computer. Launch iTunes. Press and hold the home button and then connect the USB cable to your dock connector. Keep on holding the home button until you get “Connect to iTunes” on the screen. Leave the home button. iTunes shows you a message saying the phone is now in recovery mode. You will now get an option to restore from a backup.

I had the same problem. After some research I found that the mini browser didn't loaded and it was not able to download any album. However I was able to connect to the ITMS without any problem. Try to run the network diagnostics from the "Help" menu. If you get the message saying "no active internet connection", then I hope you might know what to do.

Reconfirm if your computer is set to "automatically detect settings." You will find this by clicking on the Start, selecting Control Panel. Now select the Network and Internet Connections, Internet Options and go to the Connections tab. Click on the LAN Settings button and mark the check box that says "Automatically detect settings". Now click on OK button to save changes and restart iTunes for changes to take effect. Retry to connect iTunes and updating the software.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Ok I have tried that and I am able to connect to iTunes and hence update the software. Thanks for your suggestions and detailed explanations. However, I am now facing some different issue over here. I am unable to sync my contacts, calendars, and bookmarks from my computer. I am using MobileMe for this. Can you help me in this?

Make sure your MobileMe account is configured properly on your iPhone.
    1. On the home screen, click on Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
    2. Click Fetch New Data, and make sure Push is turned On. Click Mail... to go back one screen.
    3. Click your MobileMe account.
    4. Click Account Info and check the Address field.
    5. Make sure that your address appears correct (it should be something like username@me.com or username@mac.com).
    6. If you received an alert about your username or password during step 6, delete and re-enter your MobileMe password, and then check your Mail again. If your still receive the same message, try logging into www.me.com.
    7. If your account does appear to be entered correctly, go back one screen and confirm the sliders for the data that you want to sync are set to On.

you are the boss it work man!! ive done the host file the connection setting thing nothing worked for me but you saved my life!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade327 View Post
    Try the recovery mode to see if this works. Connect the USB cable to your computer. Launch iTunes. Press and hold the home button and then connect the USB cable to your dock connector. Keep on holding the home button until you get “Connect to iTunes” on the screen. Leave the home button. iTunes shows you a message saying the phone is now in recovery mode. You will now get an option to restore from a backup.

There is a simple solution for this issue, refer to the below method:

1. First go to start and then open Control Panel
    2. After that click on internet options
    3. Then click on the connections tab
    4. After that click LAN Settings
    5. Now you just have to uncheck "use a proxy server" and problem would be solved.

If the above method doesnt solve the issue, then look for the file named "hosts" and open the file with TextEdit. After that look at the very bottom line should read "#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com". If it does not exist, then change that line to read "#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com".