Thread: Acer 5542g overheating

Acer 5542g overheating

About a month ago i bought an acer 5542g laptop.It was working properly till yesterday.Some kind of heating problem has arised due to which i m not able to do my work properly.whenever i try to do some work the laptop shuts down without any reason.This happened 4-5 times when i was busy doing my work.The laptop suddenly becomes overheated and then shuts down.please help me out of this problem and suggest me some solutions related to this.

Re: Acer 5542g overheating

So you are having problem with the overheating of the processor.Because of overloading on the processor the system does not work properly and this kind of problems are encountered.And because of this you must be facing problems such as overheating.so try to get the laptop to the service center.

The problem is overheating of the system.Try and check whether the thermal paste on the cpu is present or not.If not get it done with the help of some technical person.And try to lessen the load so that the maximum of heat is reduced.Or else if it is under warranty then get it serviced.But make it sure that the thermal paste is properly applied.It will help you.
    Last edited by Carlos16; 06-10-2010 at 07:31 PM.

You can simply try to raise the back of laptop.This is very helpful.This helps the air to flow more frequntly and due to this the hot air is reduced to some extent and also the system stops becoming hot due to proper ventilation of air.try this.Hope this will help you out.

Basically this is a common problemwith the latest laptops.To overcome these problems first of all you must avoid keeping the laptop on your knee or any surface which opposes ventilation.So please try to keep the laptop over flat surface insted of keeping it on the bed or pillow.It will help you.

See if it is not throwing any hot air outside try to ventilate it with a coolant or with a cooling fan which is connected to the bottom part of the laptop.this acts like a cooling fan which tries to cool down the temperature of the laptop and let the air (hot air) to pass more frequently.Check it out.This is surely going to help you find a solution for your problem.

Acer 5542g overheating is indeed due to some kind of strain which is developed on the processor or u can say on the system due to poor ventilation on the laptop.That means the laptop is actually not used in a proper way or it may be due to some faulty hardware problems.Try and use a coolant for solving such problems or u can also use some methods which can help you solve these problems such as keeping the laptop on a flat surface insted of using it onbed or keeping it on your knee.

Hello Hectorss

the problem is not overheating the problem is in the wireless, disable the wireless. Looks like after using the wireless for sometime, something happen and make the laptop shut down by itself.

just try it and let my know if that helps.

ESL sorry for the English mistakes.

I have exactly the same issue - and it is an overheating issue.

I took the laptop to pieces to clean the fan and the very narrow vents which were partially blocked with dust and fluff.

However, be careful if you try this... I broke the flimsy connector which is used to attach the keyboard to the motherboard and had to improvise a connection using a toothpick!

I read various reports of other Acer machines overheating and there was a suggestion that a bios update helped in those cases - but I cannot find any information on a bios update for the 5542G!

regards

Allan

Hi thompa,

You can download the BIOS update for Acer 5542/5542G Notebooks from here, that is Driver Download Section>notebook>Aspire>5542/5542G>BIOS

And to update the Bios, first download BIOS update version and then extract it and then click on the .exe file and a WFlash will show warning :

"The curent BIOS will be replaced by another one. Choosing the wrong BIOS file may render your system inoperable. Please close all other applications before updatng the BIOS. Are you sure you want to update the BIOS ?"

After that click ok to continue, WFlash will automatically update the BIOS and then you have to wait until it finishes and computer will restart. Finally, your Bios update will be done, however, flashing the wrong BIOS can cause harm to the system. Acer recommends that you should only upgrade your firmware/drivers if you have been instructed to do so by an Acer Customer Care representative.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

Trouble is... my 5542G bios does not match any of the ones listed... unless i am missing something!

My 5542G lists the Bios as Phoenix Technologies v1.09 - I don't see that listed on the ACER Bios download page

If you are not getting any of the BIOS listed on Acer site then only thing that i can advise you is contact the Acer Technical team regarding your issue and you will get the proper solution for your issue. As you have mentioned that you are looking for Phoenix Technologies v1.09 update then you should check the Phoenix Technologies official site for update of the BIOS. So if you can then try this out and see whether this is working for you or not.