Thread: Basic dpi question (art archiving)

Basic dpi question (art archiving)

I am going to purchase a Digital Camera soon. I had heard that the camera qualities are determined on the base of Dpi. I want to know more about the same. What are they and on what basis does a quality of images determine the same. I heard the same mostly on printers but the same concept I think also lies for cameras also. What is the best dpi recommended.

Re: Basic dpi question (art archiving)

There are some basic concepts that you must know to know about the working of a good digital camera. The first one you must know the minimum resolution that will allow a record close of a traditional development and format of your sensor that will often require some cropping. You must also go over to see the capacity of your sensor which is is important in terms of megapixels for better photos.

If you look in detail then a megapixel is the the number of sensitive points on the surface of your sensor. More points you get more sensitive your sensor has the power to dissect the image and therefore the better the resolution. This makes the camera a much powerful device to click out better pictures even in the bad light condition. The megapixels determine the quality of images and other benefits of the device.

There are various parts you must know like pixels, resolutions, etc to understand the concept of good photography. Here resolution is often expressed in dpi which is called as dots per inch. For a digital photo-quality the minimum resolution on photo paper is recommended 300 dpi. This means that if I cut my paper into elementary lines, each line contains 300 dots of color on every inch of distance. For comparison, the resolution of the computer screen on which you can read this text is 72 dpi. So there are 72 dots of color per inch of screen line and these are the pixel.

Sensors in a digital camera plays a major role in the quality of images you are wondering for. It is ok to have a latest model or even older sometime but the sensors of digital cameras should be more than 300 dpi. At the start the 300 dpi resolution is acceptable. If output technology allows you to spend more on paper dpi, the better quality of image you will get on the paper.

If you want to see a larger or better cropping on your photo then the zoom function here plays a major role in your digital image. This requires that your raw image must initially be of higher resolution at 300 dpi so that after the zoom you always get at least 300 dpi in your final digital image. There are other more basic tips which you can find out on internet.

The ration length / width of digital sensors plays the role of image quality on the paper print which you get finally. Usually when you click a image the inner software is quiet high enough to produce a good quality of images. If the same does not match the length to width ratio of photo papers then you might not get a good composition of pictures. DPI is on the print quality of images.