Thread: turning off touchpad when typing

turning off touchpad when typing

I bought new dell 510m. I am very happy with the features and the performance of the laptop. The only thing that is creating issue is that whenever I am typing any text, my hands touches the touchpad which causes to move the pointer to some other position in the message and by mistake I type there. Is there anyone who knew the idea to avoid this? How can I disable the touchpad when I am typing? Please help me. Thanks.

Re: turning off touchpad when typing

I also dont know the exact way to disable the touchpad when you are typing anything but I think that the problem is associated with the tapping which you can turn of when you are typing. You can do it for permanent as I have done because I am using a external USB mouse. To do this you have to go to the control panel and open the mouse controls. Search for the setting to turn off tapping when you are typing anything. Save the changes and look for the affect.
    In The Absence Of Light
    Darkness Prevail's

Great, Yesterday I disabled the touchpad when I was typing the emails to my clients. I did this by clicking something in the taskbar. If you are not able to find the setting for this in the taskbar then you should try to look under mouse control in control panel. You will find the option for disabling the touchpad. Make it disable and do your typing work. For that time you can use external USB mouse to do mouse related tasks.
    "Me fail English!? That unpossible!"

I am not sure about disabling the touchpad when you are typing. Instead of this you can reduce the sensitivity of the touchpad in order that resting your palm on it will not be taken as a tap. It will not be a complete fix but it will reduce the amount of movement of the cursor on the screen. I know that this is not a satisfactory answer because your thumb knuckle is also similar to a finger to distinguish.

You should make sure that you have the latest driver installed. You should go to the Dell’s website and find the latest driver for your laptop. Download and install it on your machine. For that you have to register first and after that you have to search the driver. You will also find the older drivers but you have to download the latest one. This will fix the problem as it was in my case. It will boot your system two times to get it going.

You have to follow the following to do disable the touchpad. Go to control panel and open ‘Hardware and Sound’ options and click on the mouse. You will see a special tab called ‘Dell touchpad’ in the popup window. You will click on the touchpad picture in the window. It will open a new window and click on “Device select”. Select the ‘Disable’ radio button and it will disable the touchpad completely.

To disable the touchpad you have to update the driver for the touchpad from Dell’s support website. After updating that you will see a touchpad tap and when you open that tab you will find the option for disabling the touchpad. This will be best and the safest way to that. Good Luck.