Thread: Dell L400 CMOS battery replacement

Dell L400 CMOS battery replacement

I have got the Dell Latitude L400 laptop and having the problem with the CMOS battery as it is not showing me the date and time correct so I think it has been spoiled and need to be replaced with the new CMOS battery but I have no idea how to place the CMOS battery and what are the steps to set the new CMOS battery on the system. So, I just need a proper instruction to set the CMOS battery on my computer.

Re: Dell L400 CMOS battery replacement

You have to keep in mind when you go for the replacement of the CMOS then the setting in the CMOS is destroyed at that time and for this reason you have to save the record of the CMOS setting. You have the utility like the Norton utility which allow to create a floppy disc backup for the setting of the CMOS saved in it which is the safest and simple way to protect the setting of the CMOS setting.

Well even I am using the same model of Dell laptop and have once open the laptop to replace my CMOS battery so I have the idea how to get fix with this problem. First the Dell has not call the CMOS battery it has to be known as Reserve battery which is under the keyboard of your laptop. You will find it green in color and it will look like three small battery just unplug the old one and replace the new CMOS battery.

You must be knowing that the notebook is having the very small screws and parts in it which are not taken care then can be easily spoiled. If you are not well experience in opening the laptop then just don't take any risk as it could also damage your motherboard. As I was facing the same problem so I just send the laptop to the Service Center which provided me the service free as I was in the warranty period of my laptop.

If you are not getting the time and date problem or having the error in the CMOS read or even sometime the CMOS Battery Failure so you just try to put on your computer for 24 hours. It happens sometime that the charging of the battery may also solve your battery issue. It mostly solve the problem of the computer which has not been used for a number of month.

As you want to get the CMOS battery replace for which you have to make sure just to note down the setting of data and then remove the battery as the removing will result in losing your data. Then get the suitable CMOS battery which is compatible to your computer and make sure that the new one is in the working position.