Thread: "Essential Upgrade" error - can't use Cydia at all!

"Essential Upgrade" error - can't use Cydia at all!

I am using one 3G iphone running 3.0 from last several months. Yesterday I made jailbroke on my mobile for the first time. And after that when I tried to run Cydia application on my mobile I got some error with message that and “Essential Upgrade" is necessary. After reviving this error when I tried to do some upgrade work , again I got one error message “Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)" AND "dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 26 package 'firmware': duplicate value for user-defined field 'Name' " . I do not know what they are? If somebody have any idea about these errors? Every suggestion will be appreciated.

Re: "Essential Upgrade" error - can't use Cydia at all!

Ok I read about your problem and it’s not strange to me. But there is just one small difference that is, I was using window XP mobile no iPhone. I had the similer problem I had the very same problem apart from I jailbroke on Windows XP with Redsn0w. After that I reboot my mobile and restart it again, and it starts working with some new errors. But I got success to solve the problem of Cydiea and I was able to install and uninstall every application on my phone. I don’t know it will work on your iphone but you should try it and I will update this thread when I will get more information.

Thanks friend for your suggestion. But I am feeling little bit awful using your trick on my iphone because you have done this on your widow XP and do not think that it will work for my iphone. But to solve this problem I made call to service center and they told me to restore and re-install, this time without installing Icy application. I expect it will work, I will keep everybody posted. Also, I really will favor to use Icy, it is much quicker and prettier than Cydia. It totally worked and icy is good alternative of Cydia.

First I would like clarify that I am not having all these kind of problems with my cydia software application. I just came here on this thread to get review between icy and cydia application. And what I found that cydia is better than icy. Icy is not faster application for me because I have to make manual refresh the sources of my new packages to show them while I was using cydia it was doing all these stuffs automatically.

I have one doubt about this jailbreaking. It’s not a very big pain but I want one solution that does not require re-jailbreaking. The reason behind this question is that, all this process tools very long time. It will take me to another hours like to restore jailbreaking and restore backups and all and I do not have too much time to waste. I feel that I have to use Icy application on the place of cydia until I find proper solution for re-jailbreaking or I should I have time to rejailbreaking. If anybody has any another way please gives me the suggestion.

I am relying for the question “Did you reinstall icy by using Cydia after that?” which is made on this thread previously or might be deleted by the owner. I just run again my redsn0w and also skipped the restore steps and after that it start working (but by installing cydia not Icy). But after it was jialbroken, I installed two necessary updates to Cydia and that gave me Icy.

I have been facing this similar problem two months ago. I was using iphone 3G 3.0. I did jailbroke w/ redsn0w. Restoring new now will report back. As long as possible Rejailbroking but do not install icy this time and all things will work fine in Cydia. I may like Icy but cannot make sure because I got surprised from the be deficient in of growth from RipDev!!!

Yes, I can established that you have to do the subsequent: (To secure Cydia Update from Errors): first step is to Restore or Update to Firmware OS v3.0 IPSW and now Jailbreak via Redsn0w 0.72 and CHECK ONLY: Cydia (DO NOT Check: Icy). Now next steps is Run & Update Cydia (Essential or Complete Update - No Errors) and then -Install "Ultrasn0w" to unlock v3.0 for (3G iPhone).I can verify this works perfectly on all of the 3G iPhones I update, jailbreak, unlock, and installed ONLY CYDIA (No Icy) Enjoy !!!

I am going to show some updates here all these looks to work for me. Firstly, I installed with redsn0w 0.7.2, both Cydia and Icy. And next step is, found I had the trouble of updating Cydia so I found this post. Now just rerun redsn0w 0.7.2 with Cydia only had chosen (No Icy). Now I have both application Icy and Cydia. Observe that in between steps 2 & 3 I have not restore iPod Touch.