Thread: i7 620m Turbo Boost Shuts off after cores hit 72 Degrees C?

i7 620m Turbo Boost Shuts off after cores hit 72 Degrees C?

I am using laptop Sager NP8690 with Intel i7 620m with 4GB RAM and one nvidia 5870M. I purchased it last one month before. I read somewhere that trubo boosts gets shut down after temperature hit 72 degree Celsius. I was also changed my old thermal compound from the CPU and GPU and also have removed the sticker from my FAN. I have applied the 100% usages of my fan and for 10 minutes my cpu got 76 degree temp. I have tried it for more long time. I assume that this temp is fine for me but if it will shuts off at 72 degree then I will not be happy with it. When I was used Crysis game for one hour my CPU core 2 hit 60 degree tepm. So please help me in my problem and quires

Re: i7 620m Turbo Boost Shuts off after cores hit 72 Degrees C?

Brand Sager makes good laptops and graphics card specially for gaming. Normally I use my laptop for creative works not for gaming but some time my brother use laptop gaming for gaming like NFS and Crysis and its start getting overheat. But I have not seen it to get turn off at some specific use. I have some test if u would like to do those test on their laptop may be it will help you. Find you task mager (ctrl+alt+dlt) and make right click then go to Set affinity and turn off the core. Then monitor temps and core frequency. I think so core will hit 3.33 Ghz if does not then tell me here…

I had faced same quires last month and I was thinking that my laptop had some problem. I read that task manager setting and test on this thread and applied on my laptop and results are positive. I ran the test yesterday and turbo Boosts shut off after 73 or even it face till 82 degree. This I is awesome news for my computer. Even though I will not have been too distress moreover way. Thanks to write this test here on this thread.

I do not think that’s all things are true dear. But I am using HP 8740W with Intel i7 840QM and its works normally good with my games and also use some kind of specific Graphic Crads. My system core stays running till at max up to 85 degree Celsius temperature if not the latest version of HWinfo32 get unable to find the clock down. And at this temp point fan ramps to the maximum RPM lesser the temps. I did not observe it with prime95. And one this making sure here that I m talking about HP 8740w BTW laptop.

This is mostly the Dell laptop feature what I found. I am one Dell special gaming laptop Alienware m15x with Intel i7 820QM. Its works good for gaming but over heating is very normal problem for gaming nowadays. And my core hit 72 degree Celsius The result is to boundary the processor temperature between 70 – 75 degree Celsius.. The 920XM in my Sager found that temperature choke around 85 degree Celsius, but it will bust on via the restrictions if it continues to be pressed. The Dell will not. Both laptops of course power throttle about TDP despite of temps.

I found a little strange that I expect someone can clarify. Two times while completely loading the CPU with prime95, CPUZ said that my multiplier was leaping from 23 to 21 to 22. Extremely odd, I cannot look to reproduce the subject. Additionally these times, it was always it wait at x23 beneath full load, despite of temperature. This looks software linked because after the issue occurred every time, let the temperatures totally drop did not alter something. I could not create it stop happening. Is anybody has the idea of this strange problem?

Hey dude it’s not a strange problem. Any first of all I do not think this is a problem. Form my occupation I am a hardware engineer and I also like to play game on laptop by using some high settings and graphic cads. These kind of problems occurred when you set the power plans to high performance with your CPUZ and with eLeet. It is very normal do not take any tension. Just makes some settings changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Allen View Post
    I am using laptop Sager NP8690 with Intel i7 620m with 4GB RAM and one nvidia 5870M. I purchased it last one month before. I read somewhere that trubo boosts gets shut down after temperature hit 72 degree Celsius. I was also changed my old thermal compound from the CPU and GPU and also have removed the sticker from my FAN. I have applied the 100% usages of my fan and for 10 minutes my cpu got 76 degree temp. I have tried it for more long time. I assume that this temp is fine for me but if it will shuts off at 72 degree then I will not be happy with it. When I was used Crysis game for one hour my CPU core 2 hit 60 degree tepm. So please help me in my problem and quires
    Lol, I don't suppose you found this information at notebookreview, if you did, it isn't true, so don't worry. Your CPU temps are just fine, I max at around 84 degrees with my NP8690 with only minimal throttling. From what I've observed with various programs (you should check this for yourself, I think HWinfo lets you monitor clock speeds) throttling only starts to occur at around 80 degrees, and you probably won't notice any change in performance, because it's extremely slight (the CPU clock speeds start jumping around 3040 - 3060 MHZ). You should really just be happy you've managed to get your i7 so cool, I've tried very hard to keep it under 80 degrees with no luck. What compound are you using?