Thread: Acer Aspire 9920 doesn't boot

Acer Aspire 9920 doesn't boot

I have an old Acer Aspire 9920 and I bought this before one year and suddenly stopped functioning yesterday without any specific reason . It seems dead. When I powered this on, the lights move on as they should but the display doesn't come up . Then it just does nothing anymore.

I tried implemented to be with the external monitor, the display still does not powered on. I also used to starting from a disk but it seems as if the notebook does not get within the POST far enough to perform as . Does someone have any suggestion regarding the problem occurred and how it wold be fixed ..

Re: Acer Aspire 9920 doesn't boot

You need to go for the following suggestions and that would be helpful for you to solve this out : Just remove out the battery,disconnect the power cord and then after use the power button for good 30 seconds. Then after plug the same back as it was and try to power on the laptop.

By the way it "sudden death" does not seems fine at all and according to the current situation, may be your motherboard or CPU has been died...I hope the above fix would be fine for you.

Thank you very much for the suggestion . I performed the suggestion steps that you have given to access this and tried it few times but there is no luck. It still does not seem to get past post.

I was just searching about this issue and found a website where so many users was discussing about the same problem (and appearantly frequent) but for the Aspire One. For them the issue is occured just because of the incapability of the BIOS and it seems corrupted somehow. I wanted to know that is there any possiblity , the same thing can be happened with me also..

Using the power button continuously for near about 30sec and with the battery pulled out and the power cord disconnected is assumed to perform this. It could be performed with the manual way by short-circuiting the CMOS pins(CMOS jumper reset) but I don't have any type of information regarding jumper specification about where this jumper is located onto your motherboard.

I am running with the exact issue with my Acer 9920G. I may try and used the same with the CMOS pins - I have already used to reconfigure with the battery and that was not seems as issue .

I even shipped the system to an Acer repair depot for a non-warranty repair (they have charge a flat rate for the repair, regardless of what the actual issue is getting occurred ) and they sent the same back to me, stating that the parts they require are no longer available there , so I got my dead laptop again.

The term specified here as related to the 'jumper' or the 'pins' is a bit of a misnomer and the same as in the notebook they are more likely to be two silver or copper dots specified about 3mm apart from each other and detected by writing saying something brief such as "CMOS RST", CMOS/EEPROM and BIOS are probably used to refer for the same thing, RST should be RESET or CLR or CLEAR.

The BIOS chip contains a battery backup that is a CR2025 watch/calculator battery or same as that . Commonly, the reset pins are attached near to the BIOS chip or battery so I would work with the same to look for the pins. The battery may be socketed on the motherboard (According to me, this is the case with the 9920) or this may be attached by wires and wrapped within tape.

Hi, I had the same problem with my 9920, until this evening it had been out of action for over 6 months. you would press the on button and the hardrive light would flash for a few seconds and the bluetooth light would stay on all the time and then nothing would happen, nothing on the screen... nothing... But by accident i came accross a video on youtube of a guy with the exact same problem, and WHAT an easy fix.. You need to gain access to your video/graphics card and then remove the fan to the left of it (3 screws), undo the retaining clips on top of the video/graphics card and lift out the heatsink.. then, with a hairdrier on full heat and fast blow hold it VERRRRY close to the chip on the video/graphics card for 4 mins (thats what i did) then put everything back together. should have said first off, make sure you remove the battery and powerlead first... once the thing is back together, switch on and trust me, it WILL work..

Unplugging the battery will be better. As it is been done you then need to check out for the change well by processing the aspect which will be better. I would recommend you to get sort the change by adding thermal paste to the heat sink and then work well which will be better. SO do process as needed. It will let the change to get sort.

Especially signed up for this forum to give my regards to BladePilot.

After reading numerous posts about a blank screen on Acer laptops (mine is a 9920 too, most post were about flashing the bios), I came across the post I quoted above. It seemed a bit weird at first, but hey, when you get desperate, you go any way people tell you to go ;].
    So, I went through the steps, used the hair dryer and all. But I also removed the old cooling paste from the CPU and GPU. Cleaned and purified it with the appropriate liquids. Put on some new paste and put the whole thing back together.
    Turned on the Acer en voila, regular startup and screen is on. Like never anything happened.

I too registered just to say THANX!

I removed the heatsink, cleaned out the old cooling paste, applied new and put everything back. Turned on the laptop, thought it wasnt going to start (and this was my final ultimate resort) and suddenly i was looking at the Acer logo

If you dont have cooling paste maybe just the heating will work as it will melt the current paste a little so it will attach better when you reapply the heatsink. Just guessing..

THANX BladePilot and rwasabi!

After overheating 2 hair dryers, melting part of the plastic housing and having to pick up my wife (who couldn't stop laughing) from the floor, I also can confirm the hair blower trick actually works. Thanks for this tip Bladepilot!

Many thanks, tried the hairdryer trick, worked a treat. Whole thing took 20 mins. Very gratefull. Wish I'd seen this a year ago before I sent it off to get fixed the first time. obviously the issue still exists and will no doubt happen again, but I can live with that. Spent close to £100 last time for 12 months, before it went again.