Thread: Tomtom XL not finding the correct address

Tomtom XL not finding the correct address

Just wondered if anyone could help me with this issue.

I have a Tomtom XL Classic and use it for 999 calls with the ambulance service. So I need the sat nav to find the exact address.
    The trouble is that the sat nav isn`t finding the correct address. It gets me to the road I need but can not identify the exact house that I need to go to. EG today I needed 49 and the sat nav took me to 195.
    I have uploaded the up to date maps so I`m unsure what else I can do...

Any ideas???

Re: Tomtom XL not finding the correct address

I was also having similar problems but i dont really know how i solved it. First i thought it could be a memory problem slowing the gps signal so i reset the tom tom to factory settings then downloaded the updates from the tom tom home program, ofcourse i lost all my destinations but i didnt want to do a back up just incase one of the updates had a virus or something so if u want to keep them i suggest you write them down first and then i got myself a safety pin and pressed the reset button underneath where the memory card goes twice the second time i held it down for about 10 seconds then i looked for updates again from tom tom home and everything was fine afterwards.
    Nothing in life is garaunteed, except death.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I will try that, when you do a reset, does that reset the 1st map update? I wasn`t sure if the first time I updated the tomtom, that the update was successful. The set is only 3 weeks old...

You can download the manual for TomTom XL from here which will let you know about the details that you are seeking for factory restore. You can also try to backup all data first incase if it is so much of importance. It will normally take 15 seconds to restore from factory restore.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I`ve tried a reset and had no joy, infact now I can`t even find my own home. When I put in my road, I live at No.158, the Tomtom is saying that the house numbers only go up to 79... Time to take it back!!

After the reset you again have to update all the map either manually or using the automatic map update. Tomtom say that "to use TomTom Map Shareâ„¢ technology, your TomTom device needs to be running application version 7.xx and map version 675.xxxx or higher." In terms of whether v.7.25 is compatible or not, I found this:

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

Hi Pugsly,

Thank you for the info...

I did a manual update of everything and the app is 8.083 and map version is v850.2820 so I am up to date with it.

I presume with that information that there could be a fault with the machine??

Try this general procedure:

1. Connect your device to your device to the computer. Go through and complete the update cycle within TomTom Home. Click on back after applying any updates so you are at the TomTom Home menu

2. Open a browser on your computer (I use Firefox). Go to Google Maps and key in the appropriate address and click on Search Maps. Click on the Send link within the bubble. Click on GPS. Set the brand to TomTom and click on Send. A launch window may open. If so, make sure TomTomHOME.exe is the chosen application and click OK.

3. The TomTom HOME screen will appear. Be patient. You will note that your device will indicate that something is accessing its memory. After a short time TomTom Home will show a screen with the address and three choices. Click on Navigate to it. Within TomTom Home the screen, simulating your device, will go through the process of planning the route. Let it complete (responding to questions like do you want to avoid toll roads depending on your settings and your route). Click on done when complete

4. Click on the disconnect your device icon in the lower right corner of TomTom Home. The device disconnect message will appear. Click on OK but do NOT disconnect your device from the computer at this time.

5. Look at your device. You may see messages saying it is writing route instructions. Wait for this to go away. It will also show you the screen asking if you wish to connect to your computer. Note that this whole process may take a while, depending on the length of the route. Even on a short route it can take a minute until the Do you want to connect to computer screen appears. When the message about writing your route hasn't appeared for at least 10 seconds and the screen asking you about connecting to your computer is available then tap on the no button . The legal screen will appear. Tap on the I agree.

6. The route should now be in your device. Disconnect the cable between the device and your computer. Remember to drive safely.

Source: tomtomforums.com