Thread: Windows 7 denies access on an external hard drive.

Windows 7 denies access on an external hard drive.

I have used this External Disk hundreds of time on my Windows Vista system but since i have upgraded my system to Windows 7, I am not able to use it. I am getting an error as Access Denied. I have tries the same disk on my friend's computer as he also has Windows 7 installed on it, and it worked there.

Re: Windows 7 denies access on an external hard drive.

Since it was accessible without problems before, it quickly realizes that the message is not due to a permissions problem . It is more likely due to the file system (NTFS file system which is my hard drive) has a file table that lists these, and on the other hand there are the data themselves which are written in clusters later (I caricature to summarize). I have seen this error many times and have solved it as well. You can solution for the same on an official website of Microsoft.

Errors or inaccessible folders files orphans are often due to the fact that the directory is still listed but no longer points to the right data for the first case , and the data are still present but the file is no longer listed for the second case. Windows we offer a command line utility called "chkdsk" to try to repair this type of error.

In command prompt that you have opened, you have to type the command chkdsk / f I : , where I: represents the drive letter and is to change course. You can see that there would be lot of errors on the disk and then the / F option allows chkdsk to repair them automatically. But some time it happens that even after doing this you get the same error so you have to format your driver.

I have provided the simple solution which i have used when i was getting the same error when i tried to use my external driver on my Windows 7 system. Go to the Start menu and then click on Run. Then type administrative tools in search bar. Now click on the computer management and then disk management. Your external driver will show as a "foreign" hdd so right click on it and select import foreign disk.

I suggest you to try to access that external driver from the Safe Mode of the Windows 7 operating system. I guess you must be able to at least see the data inside that external driver but sometime it wont be allowing to move that data. So for solving that problem, You have to take permission and ownership of the drive after which you will be able to do so, but make sure that you format the whole driver as soon as you finish with the transfer so that you do not have to face the same problem in future.

I think this problem relates to the settings which you have applied to this files when they were on Windows vista system but when you upgraded to the windows 7 then those settings are not applied to the same files. You can follow the given steps to solve this problem. Go to an Accessories from the Start menu. Right click on the Command Prompt and then Run as administrator. Type takeown /F (external drive letter) and press Enter. Now type CACLS (external drive letter) /G Administrator:F and then enter.

I suggest you to change the drive letter of the external hard drive which might work for you.
    1. Go to the Computer Management which you can find in Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.
    2. Click on Disk Management and the right click on partition or drive of which you would like to change the letter.
    3. Click Add, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I think this problem relates to the settings which you have applied to this files when they were on Windows vista system but when you upgraded to the windows 7 then those settings are not applied to the same files. You can follow the given steps to solve this problem. Go to an Accessories from the Start menu. Right click on the Command Prompt and then Run as administrator. Type takeown /F (external drive letter) and press Enter. Now type CACLS (external drive letter) /G Administrator:F and then enter.
    I did this, but the prompt said: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed. Does anyone know what to do?