Thread: Unable to capture HDV video with Canon Vixia HV40

Unable to capture HDV video with Canon Vixia HV40

I have bought a new Canon Vixia HV40 Camcorder and i am running 64 bit Windows 7 Professional on my HP DV6T Quad Edition laptop and i am using a Native Firewire Interface. Now the problem is that i am able to capture the DV Video without any problem via Firewire but when i try capture HDV Videos then it is not working. There is no camera in the Device Manager.

Re: Unable to capture HDV video with Canon Vixia HV40

If your Camera is not getting detected on your system which means that there could be a problem with the drivers in most of such cases. I think you should check about the same on an official website of your camera. As you are using 64 bit windows 7 operating system then i suggest you to install the drivers for the same but please note then even 32 bit Windows 7 drivers may create such problem so be sure about the drivers according to the version of OS.

I think the problem should not be with the drivers as if your able to make your camera visible on your laptop. If not then also you should check it in the Device Manager where you must get the proper device connected to your computer system. I suggest you to reinstall the software which you would be using to capture the videos and etc. After reinstalling the software, First of all check capturing the HDV Videos from your camera.

Is there any error message which you might be getting when you try to capture the HDV videos as this kind of blocked features seems to be weird as you should be able to capture DV as well as HDV both the types of video or none of them. So there must be some error which may help us to know the core of the problem. So please mention each and every error which you get on your pc while doing this actions.

I suggest you to use some other program which has simple user interface which would help you to capture the video more easily. I have used an Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 many times which a great software according to me for using the camcorder with it. So you may download the same from an official website of an Adobe.

Do the following steps in order. Try to start capture in Premiere Pro after you complete each step.
    1. If you are capturing from a camcorder or VTR, then verify that the device is turned on and in playback mode.
    2. Connect the device directly to a FireWire (IEEE 1394) port on your computer. Do not connect the device to a multi-port hub or to another FireWire device.
    3. Some video devices can output more than one digital video format. Determine whether your device has a button, a switch, or a menu setting that changes its output format. If you change your device's output format, then close the Capture panel, disconnect the device from the computer, reconnect the device, and reopen the Capture panel.
    4. Some Canon HDV devices have a menu setting called DV OUTPUT. If this item is set to DV LOCK, then the devices will downsample HDV video during output. If your device has a DV OUTPUT setting, then set it to HDV/DV.