Thread: External Hard Disk missing completely

External Hard Disk missing completely

I have a Maxtor external hard drive, connected via USB. In recent days, I can no longer access this drive. Windows XP recognizes that the device is connected, but Windows Explorer does not display anything. Worse still, when I go to the storage manager, it is clear that there is a 233 GB hard drive 250GB actually, but I do not know where is the remaining 17GB. From last few days the External hard drive is missing completely.

Re: External Hard Disk missing completely

This happened to me very often until I understand why. In fact, when I connect a large external hard drive "self powered" USB port on my Mac, it was not even recognized, because the energy provided by the SIMPLE CONNECTION WAS NOT ENOUGH. I tried it on another USB port on the Mac, everything came back to normal, and since then no worries. I do not know if this observation applied to your case somewhat, but look in that direction.

I would advice you to follow the steps which are mentioned below
    1. Right click on desktop / -> Manage
    2. On the left you click on Device Manager
    3. Look for your HDD, right click / -> Uninstall
    4. Disconnect the PC
    5. Restart the PC
    6. Reconnect the HDD to PC

And normally it returns to the workstation that means it will be detected by your desktop computer.

This is because the external hard drive is not working properly so i would advice you to check whether the device which you are using is working properly and you can do this by manually connecting this device on another system if its detected then it is clear that the USB port may have been damaged and if not then there is a problem with the hard drive and hence you will have to get it repaired from the manufacturer.

I tried plugging my external Hard Disk to another machine (even on two other machines) and the problem is always the same, that is to say, the PC detects that the portable hard drive is plugged in, it is recognized as a device mass, but nowhere in the workplace or in the disk manager. What is bizarre is that with two computers (two computer that have no link between them). Other solutions welcome.

It is recommended to change the able with which you are connecting you hard disk drive with the system since this can also be the cause why your hard disk is not detected on your system. I would advice you to get the device replaced if the cable connector is fine since there is an issue with the device itself.

I confirm, after an update of windows xp sp2 I had an error of execution of deamon tools in connection with the *. sys files STDP . After more than a flash drive in my workstation, then turn and look after having these two files (*. sys STDP) and restart my machine, everything is back to normal my hard disk is detected.