Thread: Lenovo W510 Cannot detect 4G RAM

Lenovo W510 Cannot detect 4G RAM

I am facing a weird problem with the Lenovo thinkpad W510 which I am using. Recently I upgraded the system memory of the laptop from 2Gb to 4gb but the system is not detecting the full capacity of the RAM. The system is detecting only 2gb of RAM. Is there any problem with the laptop? How do I make the full capacity of the RAM detect on the system? Please help.

Re: Lenovo W510 Cannot detect 4G RAM

Which operating system have you installed on the computer? For getting the full capacity of the RAM on the computer, 64 bit operating system on the computer. If the operating system on the computer is a 32 bit then it will only detect a maximum of 2 gbs of RAM. Hence If the operating system installed on the computer is 32bit, then upgrade the operating system to the 64 bit.

I think the problem is with the laptop which you are using. The W series laptops which are launched by Lenovo support upto 8gbs of RAM and hence the laptop should support 4 gb of RAM without any problems. So I would suggest that, you get the laptop checked at the official service center of Lenovo and see if there are any problems with it or not. If the laptop is faulty, you can get it replaced.

I was also facing the same problem with the RAM upgrade on my laptop. I think the problem was with the operating system installed on the computer. I had Windows Vista installed on the computer without any service packs. I installed the Service pack 1 for the operating system and also updated the Windows. After updating the operating system, all of the RAM was detected by the system.

I dont think a reinstalling a 32 bit operating system on the computer will help in detecting 4 gb RAM. A 32 bit system can only detect maximum of 3gb of RAM as the address lines get depleted. I had the same issue with my T400 which was solved by installing a 64 bit operating system on it. It worked for me and I hope it works for you too.

You will have to update the BIOS of the system and to detect all the capacity of the RAM. BIOS of the computer is responsible for saving all the information about the hardware peripherals which are connected to the computer. As the BIOS is not detecting the RAM, you are not able to use it. After getting the BIOS updated, you will not face the same problem.

Yes, replacing the BIOS on the system really helped in getting the laptop to detect the full capacity of the RAM. The BIOS installed on the laptop was outdated which was not able to detect the extra memory chip installed on the computer and hence updating it solved the issue. Now full capacity of the RAM is detected.