Thread: Blank Screen on Thinkpad T60 after updaing ATI FireGL 5250 Win7 drivers

Blank Screen on Thinkpad T60 after updaing ATI FireGL 5250 Win7 drivers

Here I am facing some issue after updating the drivers in my laptop. I have a Thinkpad T60P widescreen laptop which comes with ATI FireGL 5250 GPU support. I had formatted my computer and installed Windows 7 32 bit. I did that due to virus issue. Now there is no proper Windows 7 driver for thie card so I run a Windows update to fix that. But after that there is blank screen on the laptop. Other lights on keyboard are working.

Re: Blank Screen on Thinkpad T60 after updaing ATI FireGL 5250 Win7 drivers

It is right that there is no driver update for Windows 7 for the laptop you are using. The last operating system which it supports is Windows Vista. But sometime Vista drivers works on Windows 7. Many devices have Vista drivers which work well on Windows 7. You can try to boot your system in safe mode first and remove the update. Then instead of getting Windows Update download the vista driver from below link and run it.
    Thinkpad T60 Vista Video Driver

That is correct, thinkpad T60 does not has a Windows 7 driver support. But on the same hand Windows Vista driver are compatible. If Windows 7 still gives you blank screen then better remove it and install Windows Vista. That will be a bit preferable option for you. Or else you can face this issue regularly. In appropriate drivers can make your system unstable.

I also have a Thinkpad T60P laptop. Last time due to virus attack I started a scan with Adaware. The scan is long and to stop that interrupt. Nothing was closing so press ctrl + alt + del to run task manager. The task manager showed some files eating high system resource. At last I forcefully restarted the laptop and from that time there is blank screen on the system. I think will to format it now.

In my Thinkpad the problem is that I have no image even at startup. And the little thing is that when I close the lid of laptop screen hangs in between. Then after some second there is black screen. My system is under warranty and I am going to show this to some better service center for getting a fix. This looks like there is some loose connection on the lid.

In my case I had opened up the laptop and disassembled everything. I had removed the motherboard, CPU connector, screen and even the shield that surrounds the motherboard. I cleared up some dust and applied heatsink to the processor. I found that my video chip was heated and due to which the laptop screen disappeared. This seems to be a hardware issue on the laptop.

I think you will need to re-format your laptop back again. Because that will only fix the issue. Till the time the driver is loaded on the operating system the screen will not function properly. Try to use a lower version of operating system as there is no support for Windows 7. I am using Windows XP on my thinkpad laptop and it is working without any problem.