Thread: Weak WiFi Signal on Lenovo X201 with Thinkpad 11bgn Adapter

Weak WiFi Signal on Lenovo X201 with Thinkpad 11bgn Adapter

Just few days after buying Lenovo X201 laptop, it started giving some problems. The laptop is installed with Windows 7 on it. The problem is that I am trying to connect the laptop to my linksys wireless router but I am facing some problems. The wireless signal on the laptop is very low. The laptop is installed with thinkpad bgn wireless LAN mini PCI express adapter. The internet connection gets disconnected frequently. Does this mean the laptop is having some wireless issue? If not then how do I solve this problem? Please suggest some solutions.

Re: Weak WiFi Signal on Lenovo X201 with Thinkpad 11bgn Adapter

It is possible that the router is not configured properly and hence the laptop is not able to connect to it. For the wireless connection to work successfully on the system, the configuration of the router is very important. To check if the router is configured properly or not, connect the computer to the router using a console cable. Open the configuration page and see if all the settings are proper. Change the settings if required and save the configuration. Reboot the router. Connect the laptop to the router and check the performance of the laptop.

The performance of the wireless network depends on the network card of the laptop. If the network card of the system is faulty, the performance of the wireless network will suffer. To check the NIC of the system, click on Start menu and select Run. Type "ping 127.0.0.1" and hit enter. Now check if there are any data packets loss suffered with the NIC. If there are any data loss, then you will have to replace the NIC of the laptop.

As you are getting a low wireless signal on the laptop, it must be configured to conserve power output on the laptop. If the wireless card is configured to save power, then the signal is bound to be low. Go to control panel and click on Wireless adapter. In the wireless adapter section, select the Power output to maximum and save the settings. Check if the signal strength improves or not.

I think you will have to get the drivers for the devices as per the Windows version. The appropriate drivers are to be installed to make the device function properly on the system. Hence I think after installation of the proper drivers on the system, you will not face the same problem again.

Open the start menu and click on control panel. Select the Wireless card and open its properties. Now in the frequency selection option, set the wireless card to allow automatic switching between the b,g and n bands. After selecting the automatic selection, save the configuration. See if the laptop is working properly or not.