Thread: Lenovo x301 BIOS downgrade on non-Windows installation

Lenovo x301 BIOS downgrade on non-Windows installation

I have a recently bought a Lenovo X301 laptop installed with Linux on it. I updated the BIOS on my laptop from version 1.02 to 1.05 but certain features of the laptop were not working properly after the updated BIOS. Also the operating temperatures on the laptop after BIOS update are very high. Hence I want to downgrade the BIOS on the system. I want to know if it is possible to downgrade the BIOS on the laptop on the non windows system or not. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Lenovo x301 BIOS downgrade on non-Windows installation

You can easily downgrade the BIOS on the laptop. Go to the official manufacturer website of the laptop and download the previous version of the BIOS. Once the file is downloaded on the computer, execute the file and let the procedure complete. After completing the downgrading procedure check if the system is working properly or not.

Actually there is no way in which the BIOS on the laptop can be downgraded on a non windows system. The BIOS downgrade tool which is available can only be used on the Windows based systems. Therefore if you want to downgrade the BIOS on the system, you will have to change the operating system on the computer to a Windows based system.

Instead of installing the entire Windows operating system on the computer, you can use the BartPE and use the Windows operating system as a Live CD. BartPE helps in using Windows operating system on a non Windows platform just like virtual machine. As you want to downgrade the BIOS on the system, use the BartPE and run Windows operating system. Downgrade the BIOS to the required version and see if it helps.

I tried using BARTPE for running Windows XP on the laptop but the WINUPDT.EXE fails gives some error and quits the upgrade procedure. I tried the same procedure many times but encountered the same result. Hence I want to know, How do I skip or bypass the Winupdt.exe process from being executed. Please suggest some solutions.

Winupdt.exe in the BartPE must be corrupt and due to which you are facing such problems. Delete the following file from the live CD or replace it with some other copy of the file. After replacing the file you will be able to update the update BIOS on the laptop. Once the BIOS is updated using the Windows environment boot the system using the Linux operating system to see if there is any improvement.

Yes replacing the Winupdt.exe on the computer really helped in solving the problem. I got the replacement for the file from my friend using a the Live CD and downgraded the BIOS version on the computer. Now the performance of the computer has improved after downgrading the version of the BIOS.