Thread: I am facing issue with ACHI mode on Thinkpad T61

I am facing issue with ACHI mode on Thinkpad T61

In my Thinkpad T61 laptop. It comprises of Intel ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Controller and on that the 2828 drivers are loaded. I am getting blue screen issue on it. My friend has done some r & d on the system and he had enabled the ACHI mode from the BIOS as he said to me. It was some ATA adapter he had enabled to use his hard drive. Now even after testing the compatibility I am getting BSOD. Can anyone can explain this scene.

Re: I am facing issue with ACHI mode on Thinkpad T61

The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a hardware mechanism that allows the software layer to communicate with SATA devices such as HBAs, which are designed to provide, in addition to higher transfer speeds, features that do not offer the standard ATA controllers, such as hot-plug or NCQ. The AHCI is supported natively by Microsoft Windows Vista and parLinux from kernel 2.6.19.

The IDE interface, the most common in personal computers also called as ATA (AT ATACHMENT) not to be confused with S-ATA the latter they have been replaced. Ide is the configuration for the old disk and your AHCI is if I am not mistaken is called sata native mode. So if you are using Windows XP then you need to install the drivers and put the SATA mode ahci on.

The first is enabling AHCI in the BIOS causes a Blue Screen of Death. This is the most common error which you will find on your system and you can stop the same by disabling the same from your BIOS. Check your BIOS settings first. There can be various problems which you will encounter when switching to AHCI under Windows.

When attempting to install Microsoft Windows XP or earlier on a system with AHCI enabled, it fails with the error message Setup can not detect hard drive. This problem can be fixed up by using a floppy disk containing the appropriate drivers or by using slipstreaming the drivers to integrate the installation CD of Windows XP. This integration can be done very easily with nLite freeware.

I have wanted to install the same on vista on a GA-965P-S3. At the launch facility that is very very slow screen between the launch setup, before the arrival of Windows key. After the end of the installation part was stuck and the same was impossible to go further. I had added a new 160GB Hard drive. So that must not cause issues.

It is also possible that by enabling AHCI in the BIOS can even make your SATA driver disappear. A fix is already available for Windows Vista. The SATA optical drives are not available after you start a computer running Windows Vista. AHCI mode is the mode native SATA drives. It incorporates improvements in the management of hard disks, data transfer rates and indexing capabilities also if I remember correctly.